Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talk to me about Homebirths...

Seeing Horsefan's BA has made me start considering my birth options this time round. After a v v quick labour/birth 1st time round (thankfully smooth) I am tempted to try a homebirth this time round, especially as we have moved and now live further from the nearest hospital (if we had a repeat of O I wouldn't make it there!) I am aware of that complications/need for stitching would mean a transfer to hospital but can you tell me about your homebirths if you had one, and pros and cons to consider? TI

Replies

• Hi Coco - I have no experience of this as still growing our first one, but I would never consider a home birth as my mum's story scares me.  My mum has my oldest sister, and then me and both times straight forward, easy, stress-free births.  Her third, my little brother, was born with the umbilical cord around his neck, blue and not breathing and was resuscitated by machines/a couple of doctors and put on a breathing machine and was absolutely fine.  However, had she not been at the hopsital with all that on hand.....   that was 26 years ago but enough to put me off.  Sorry for the negativity.

• I'm considering one, maybe. But only because I am less than 10 mins from the nearest hospital on blue lights. I wouldn't consider it if I lived further away.

I've delivered 9 babies in people's houses, all unplanned homebirths. Of those, 7 have been fairly straightforward (a couple, the mum needed transferring afterwards due to tearing), one, the baby aspirated fluids as it was born, but easily suctioned, and one was a bit of a drama: shoulder dystocia followed by post partum haemorrhage (caused by the hefty manipulation needed to get baby out), but all dealt with calmly on scene before transferring for assessment. What I'm trying to say is that midwives and paramedics have a fairly large amount of maternal and paediatric resuscitation kit, and are trained to deal with obstetric emergencies. In the event of needing a crash section, the theatre still needs to be prepped, and as long as you can get in fast of you need to. For that reason though, I wouldn't want to be at home if it were more than ten mins.

• The risks were what made me gave a MLU birth first time round. We could be blue lighted in 10 mins if needed but for me I think the fear of not making the hospital at all (O was born only 20mins after arrival after a v quick labour) far outweighs any other concerns at the mo IYSWIM.

My old area had homebirth classes by the nct for homebirthing couples, so I may look into this where we are now and see if it's an option.

• wow Coco - what a quick labour - so what I am hoping for!

• 10mins blue light but how long until the ambulance gets to you? 10 mins could easily be doubled or tripled.

I think homebirth when it goes well would be wonderful, however in the small chance of things going wrong for me it's the thought of would i want to put my/the babies life at risk by not being in a hopsital. Complete personal preference but id not be able to live with the guilt.

But for many it works out and is a great experience.

• Hi Coco. I've got my heart set on a HB (dangerous, I know!) for a myriad of reasons from trivial (not wanting to stay away from my dog) to more important (how very distressed I became in hospital first time around) and all sorts in between.

I'm a 20 min drive away from hospital but am still prepared to go for it. My faith ultimately lies with the midwives being extremely cautious (and that's the impression I get from conversations with her) and refusing/strongly recommending a course of action as soon as concerns are raised. I also am not a huge fan of our local hospital and so I don't believe that hospital is *necessarily* the safest place to be. I am mindful that I could be transferred at any point, and will pack for that eventuality and keep an open mind.

I've read a lot of resources online, and in Facebook groups, and don't believe it's neglectful or risky to plan a homebirth, in my current situation. If my circumstances change then my plan might also.

I am very excited by the prospect of a homebirth. I had actually made a mental note to ask members here to link to their birth story if it was a homebirth, or planned homebirth that didn't transpire.

• ha aside from everything else, doesn't it mean you/partner have to clean up after yourself?! Ha that alone would put me off

• I always think that numerous people have unplanned home births. At least this way you have everything you need for it to happen successfully. I've been considering a home birth. I have to admit to being a little put off by some people's attitudes that it means you're risking babies life etc. I personally think some of that is down to lack of own research into home births - ie those with that opinion have probably never looked as in depth into it as someone who isn't so against it. This is by no means a dig at anyone on here. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion - and I know that the opinion of it being risky is one that probably all of my family and friends would have! I think hospitals are so.... Eurgh. There was a thread on here a while ago - I found it whilst researching and was quite shocked by how strongly some people viewed it as selfish and so on. It gave me a real insight into what the majority of people think about home births. Not that your birth plan should be based on what anyone else thinks of course. I have to say though, It did make me feel almost guilty for even considering one though.

• Pepperoni - Like i said when it goes well i'm sure it would be wonderful. Who wouldnt want to go straight to their own shower & bed

However the risks are very real, things do go wrong in hospital too but at least there is help straight away. I briefly thought about having one until i realised how few ambulances covered my town, that shocked me.

Its def worth researcing if it appeals though. I understand some people have anxietys about hospitals etc so do understand their choice but for me ive seen too many friends have to have emergency crash sections etc that i just couldnt.

• Pepperoni, I agree with you. And I read a thread on here that kind of gave me the impression that parents maybe didn't care about their babies as much as those going to hospital. It didn't SAY that, but close to it, and everyone justifies their view as they see fit, from the heart. The National Birthday Trust research gave me a real jolt, in that it wasn't what I expected to see, and made me feel much more positive about it all (Caesarean rate was half that for planned HBs for example). 

My mw is fairly positive about the prospect (with caveats), I think it must be so, so hard to get support for a HB if you've fighting against the establishment, so to speak.

• Pep, I completely get what you mean! I appreciate everyone's opinions etc but as with this thread a lot of people have said it's not for them. Had I not made it to hospital both myself and my husband would've been a bit distressed to say the least.

Counter - I'm right behind you love...local hospital provision is another of my reasons for feeling the need to investigate home births in more depth. I will keep an open mind re: my options regardless of what decision I make and my baby will be at the forefront of my mind...at the end of the day as long as they're safe nothing else matters...but side of the motorway isn't what I consider particularly safe if I failed to make it!

• Suggested (pushed!!) By my mw this time due to the speed of my progression with p. To me I just cant justify what i seee as an unnecessary risk. Things are no more likely to go wrong at home but the response is different. The thought of being strapped down in an ambulance for a transfer is worse than anythingnelse in my eyes. Plus I have 2 friends who have both had #2 in hopsital after straightforward #1's and had complications that needed urgent assistance.

just my opinion of course. Some people love it and if it goes well then great.

• Coco would a midwife get to the house on time as I'm guessing if they are dealing with another patient then you might run out of time? Whereas would the limited time you have be better spent travelling to a hospital where you could get immediate attention even if it was in a&e if you were literally about to deliver in the car?

• My friend had her last 3 children at home, after having 2 bad hospital experiences with her first 2. She can not speak highly enough of HB although she has always had straight forward labours and births. I briefly considered it but decided my house was too small for it and my H was against it. Personally I look at it now as I had an emergency c section and was in theatre within 15 mins of the decision, had I been at home I would not have been at the hospital in 15 mins let alone nearly had my son safely delivered.  I think its a personal preference and its worth seeing if you can see a homebirth midwife to talk through it all, I think as with all birth plans it has itd pros and cons so it is very much a personal decision. The only thing I would suggest is consider what your back up plans would be, unlikely in your case but if you went overdue would you refuse induction to get a home birth (as thats a whole another lot of research to read lol) and whay you would do if you needed transferring.  

On the risk front the brief research I did look at suggested midwifes are more cautious with you at home and will intervene and transfer you earlier if they anticipated a problem.

• The thing I have to weigh up is yes, I could make the hospital, I could not. If I didn't would I rather go through it at the side of the road or in my own home, where we'd at least have some facilities, space and comfort. Of course there is no telling what qould happen in this labour and I'm only pondering at the mo anyway pending scans etc but it's not a decision I'd take lightly. I'd sooner research and seek mw advice etc than just think of the possible negatives and rule it out

• I definitely agree that home is safer than the side of the road wihout a doubt lol. I do love the thought of my own shower and bed after, my friend has always said there is nothing nicer than having your tea and toast on your own sofa whilst the midwifes clear up!

• Coco, given your somewhat unique circumstances is it feasible to (and I have no clue and am just thinking aloud...) a) plan a homebirth so you have a routemap if you can't get to hospital on time, but b) turn up at hospital unannounced if a hospital birth is your preference and you are in a position to get yourself there.

I've been thinking about it and I think if it were me I'd rather opt for a HB and 'fail' and go to hospital, than to plan for hospital and miss it and then have a halfway house (poss roadside/unexpected HB waiting for ambulance).

Difficult one!

• No help, but I totally missed your BFP Coco! Big congratulations lovely, hope you are doing ok! x

• Aww thanks Lamby :-) Hope you and your gorgeous little man are well xx

• Coco my mw toldnme its possible to book into hospital and organise a homebirth. That would mean you would have the option of going to hospial if you felt you could but also that youd have already organised for a mw to come out to you. I do understand the worry, p's birth was very fast (4hours from 0cm to birth) but not as fast as yours  and im worried about getting to hospital,  especially as we now live futher from hospital and it can take 45mins in rush hour. I was just trying to explain my point of view re risk versus benefits to me. Talk to your mw and see how things are set up for homebirth in your area.