Forum home› Pregnancy› Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The Royals car seat...

In all the pics off Prince George's car seat, it seems that the handle is left up. i thought on most car seats this had to be bought down against the seat so that incase of impact it doesn't get pushed into the seat??? Correct me if im wrong!

Replies

• My car seat says to leave the handle up....

• On maxi cosi cabrio seats you should leave the handle up as it acts as a roll bar. Not sure about other seats

• Fair enough......I'm glad it's not an oversight, not that such people would make one of course xx

• It was supposed to be kept up on mine when in the car (Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) - didn't realise it had to be put down on others.

• From their website

The carrying handle is part of the safety concept of Maxi-Cosi infant car seats and must always be placed upright when driving. This also applies when used with the FamilyFix, EasyFix or Easybase 2 frame. Read the user manual for the car seat. Placing the carrying handle in the upright position protects the child in the event that the car seat rotates towards the back of the rear car seat. The carrying handle also protects against any large objects that might fly through the air near the child. Once the child is securely fastened in the harnesses, his or her head and arms will not hit the carrying handle in the event of an accident.

• I hope they have learnt to strap him in now though...

metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/.../ay_114826521.jpg

• Like I said fair enough. I have a M&P one http://youtu.be/Kh11AdGZCzk

• Very excited....I'm shocked!!

• Very excited, that was the first thing i said when  i saw them bring him out in his car seat.  The boy needs a Morrck

• We had the maxi cosi cabrio and he had to be left up.

• We have one carseat that needs the handle down (Concord Ion) and one that needs it up (Maxi Cosi Cabrio) .... doesn't half confuse Mr JB

• I was posting about how he was strapped in on a car seat board last week. Quite shocking, but then I think all new parents make mistakes, it's just a shame that theirs are scrutinised by the world. I guess the hospital staff should have checked, I know our MW did when we took E home.

Our infant carrier (Cybex Aton) states handle up when belted in, handle down when on the base. No idea why!

• I had no idea there was a rule!  As it turns out we have a cabrio and its always up anyway!

• In their defence,they were flanked by protection vehicles so chances of them crash were minute.

Our car seat is the izi go which says the handle should be left up, I must admit I have forgotten to put it back up a couple of times!

• I've an isofix seat too and once it's on the base it won't budge. The handle needs to be up too. Just goes to show that the way seats operate varies wildly, definitely worth reading the instructions.

I can't believe the shock about the carseat to be honest. Kate was sitting right next to and was clearly attending to the baby once he was in the car - most probably tightening his straps. Maybe they should've taken more time to get him into the seat properly before he was in the car but 500 camera lenses honed in on my brand new baby, I'd want to get me and my family out of there as fast as I possibly could as well!

• They needed to do more than tighten the straps his arms weren't the right side of the straps.  Of course the chance of crashing was miniscule and we all make mistakes but I was surprised that no-one pointed it out to them and that the Metro didn't run it or that the Daily Mail didn't get hold of the photo!!!