Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Those who breastfed/ are breastfeeding now...

Im currently applying to study midwifery starting in sept 13 So I've made arrangements with a surestart Center to go along to a breastfeeding group in January to sit and listen to some of the mums who may have problems or any concerns etc

I'm  doing it to gain experience to enable me (If I get on the course) to help support mums with breastfeeding and to try and encourage other mums who may not feel as confident.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to breastfeed so although I've read posts on here I'm totally clueless!! 

Help?! Please! :)

what questions can I ask to make the most out of the groups? 

Many tips on what I should do etc? 

For some reason I have just all of a sudden come over all nervous about it and I don't want to just sit there looking like a spare part! 

Replies

• I would say ask the ladies what their fears/concerns are. I found there was a lot of pressure to breastfeed which i dont think is fair. I 100% wanted to and did but had to mixed feed and i worried about it constantly. If you know what the common concerns are you can learn how to be supportive. I was lucky in a way as i was in hospital for 3 days and got loads of help but i know lots of friends who were chucked out after a few hours and then struggled.

I would maybe spend the time talking to the mums and whoever runs the course to see what kind of help people need...

• In all honesty I wouldn't ask any questions. Whenever we have had observers at our bf group the lactation cons has asked everyone if they mind them sitting in on the consultation. The LC then just explains everything to the student. I'd keep it light tbh, I think a lot of women at bf groups are emotional or having feeding issues so to start asking lots of questions re feeding choices might put them off, in the early days it certainly woukd have put me off. Could you ask the group leader for guidance. Perhaps ask one of the people who have been feeding a while if you could ask them something's. every bf group Iv gone to has been very chilled out. So the volunteers come round chatting to you, they hold baby whilst you have a brew, they chat about alsorts, and then if anyone needs to they go in the consulting room with the LC.

• I agree that you should observe rather than have a lot of questions. It depends on the set up of the group - whether its for anyone who is BF (and has those who have got it established and are feeling confident) or for those who are having problems and want to see a lactation consultant.

Support that I needed in the early days - how can I tell that the baby is feeding, what is that clicky noise she makes (this was the suck/swallow), how to get the baby off if not latched properly, how many times is it normal for the baby to feed. Support answering those kinds of questions would have a made huge difference to me.

• thank you.

I appreciate exactly what your saying. I just didn't want to sit there saying nothing and the people running the group to think why is she even bothering to be here!

I would prefer to just sit and observe and listen to be honest.

I think I will just ask questions or chat to the ladies if and when it's suitable. I obviously don't want to upset anyone.

It will be good for my confidence and communication skills in the long run and will help give me some insight in to offering support and the more every day concerns and problems.