Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thursday 3rd tri

Morning all. Sorry I didn't make it back in yesterday, no real reason I was just being rubbish. 

I'm still full of cold this morning, and had a late night as I went to bed at a reasonable time but was kept up by some really quite sore crampy pains. I really thought something might have been happening (and texted my mum to warn her as she's looking after J when we go to hospital) but they tailed off and I'm back to normal this morning. Very frustrating. I've got the midwife at 10am so I'll see if she wants to have a rummage (sweep, not just a general feel - I'm not due till Sat but hopefully that's close enough). I'm hoping if so she says I'm a bit dilated already as I really feel like I should be, feels like I've been in very early labour/prelabour for about a week or so now. 

Hope everyone else is good. 

Replies

• Morning SG, sorry to hear you're full of cold still.  Are you able to have a sweep done at 40 weeks?  My midwife said they weren't done before 41 weeks..  Not that I want one, I just wonder how it differs place to place.  Hopefully she agrees and you're well on your way to having baby!

I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with myself today.  Aside from wanting a milkshake, I have no desire to do much of anything.  If the weather is better I might do a bit of laundry, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one!  Oh, I didn't mention yesterday, but I had some bizarre cramping just as I was going into the cinema and I was half convinced labour was going to start as I watched x-men, but of course it was nothing.  Does anyone have any way I can distract myself and stop overanalysing every little twinge?!

• Wispa, have a lazy day! The weather is too rubbish here for laundry too, I think it's due to stay horrid for a little while. If I knew a way to chill out and stop overanalysing every twinge I'd be doing it already, sadly I don't! I was offered a sweep at my 40 week appt with J, but declined as he wasn't very far engaged at the time and she didn't think it'd be worth it. I didn't fancy being poked for no reason, so didnt bother. I might be completely off the mark, but I feel like it might have more effect this time - we shall see if I'm allowed and what happens.

• Morning!

SG Booo to the cold. I hope it buggers off soon. I really hope they do a sweep for you and that it really ramps things up for you. Come on atilla, we want to see you!

Wispa I agree with SG, have a lazy day. Although you do need to track down some milkshake- as do I now too! You've set me off wanting it too.

Got a fairly busy day today. I'm at the bread feeding session of NCT tonight too and it doesn't finish until 9.45, no idea how I'll stay awake at that time! Lol. I'm off work tomo though so at least I can lie in tomo, wishful thinking probably.

Physio yesterday gave me a tubi grip to wear around my hips and middle, it feels lovely and snug, if a little warm and sweaty. She also gave me loads of exercises etc.

• Morning all - apologies for not getting on yesterday. Have had a little read back and hope those is pain are getting it sorted and that those awaiting babies get some labour signs soon!

SG - Hope your cold clears up soon and Attila makes an appearance!

Wispa - your day yesterday sounded good! Hope you get your milkshake today. Only thing I would say that helps me to be distracted is keeping busy really!

AFM - Yesterday was a bit of an emotional one! I had my growth/breech scan - only waited 15 minutes this time and had a brilliant sonographer, she want into so much detail, could see that baby had hair on their head and that they kept rubbing their hands against their face! Baby is still very much breech so we then had to wait to see a consultant to discuss options. Both myself and H had said all along that we weren't keen on the ECV and that we would opt for the elective section, but now, having been through it all and signed consent forms for a section I almost feel like I am doubting myself for not giving it a go :S

Cue lots of tears when we got home yesterday afternoon, kept saying to my H that I just wanted someone to make the decision for me, didn't want to have to do it myself and then potentially make the wrong one! Think H was trying to be helpful, asking was I sure I didn't want to try the ECV, but think that is just making me doubt myself even more! Should I give it a try or not?!

Think I have just become very overwhelmed with it being so close to the end, having to go through all the risks and signing the consent forms and it all just becoming very real. Before I was worried about the unknowns of labour but now I feel like I almost know too much and have too much time to think about it. All of this coupled with the fact that we have been given a section date (keeping that a secret from everyone!) but it is much closer to my actual due date than I was expecting and the consultant kept emphasizing the risks if I go into natural labour before then etc.

Sorry for the moan, just feeling very lost and unsure of my own decisions! There is of course still a chance baby could turn on its own, I spent most of yesterday evening inverted on a board, with a cold compress on one side of my tummy and a warm one the other side trying to get them to move! Hate decision making at the best of times never mind with something so important!  

• Sorry Imp, cross posted! Glad the physio appointment seems to have helped a bit!

• Morning!

SG - sorry you are feeling unwell. I hope the mw appointment is a positive one.

Wispa - I agree with the others; get yourself that milkshake and have a lazy day!

Imp - glad your physio appointment seems to be the start of things getting a bit better for you.

Vix - hugs to you. Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. No need to apologise for having a moan - you naturally have a lot on your mind and we're here whenever you need to brain-dump.

AFM - just had 2 busy days. Tuesday was mw and driving miles around the county to see MIL and SIL, yesterday we spring-cleaned our bedroom, cleaned the kitchen and did some work in the garden (well, I supervised as H did the gardening). Today I am doing very little and have the hv coming this afternoon.

• Vix sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. A lot of ladies that have a planned c section describe it as a very calm experience, hopefully it will be a great experience for you too.

Ixia a rest today sounds in order. Well done for getting so much done yesterday.

• Morning all

SG - really hope the mw agrees to a sweep and you can get things moving on a bit more. Crampy pains with nothing to show for them are just irritating!! Hope you feel better soon too

Wispa - I don't think you can stop overanalysing! I've done it since day 1 of TTC and I don't expect to be stopping any time soon. Milkshake sounds goood. There's an awesome place in town that mixes any chocolate or sweet on the face of this earth into a shake. I love it much! Was x-men any good? Please say yes!

Imp - hope the NCT class goes well. I'm really hoping I get a breastfeeding class with my NHS sessions. The posters promoting it are all over the clinics and hospital so I'm hoping so! 9:45 seems faaar too late to be needing your brain mind you. Does the physio band thing help? Hope so.

Vix - big hugs lovely. I think I would be worrying the same in your position and I think people talking about risks etc won't exactly help. You made the initial decision for an elective for a reason so stick to those guns. I imagine it's very normal to be scared and second guess yourself now it all seems so final but natural birth isn't the be all and end all. You're doing what's best for your baby and that's the most you can possibly do. Try not to beat yourself up.xx

Ixia - busy day yesterday then! Chill day sounds perfect. Was seeing family nice?

AFM - find out the final decision about the outsourcing at 12:30 today. Bit scared but I know it's not going to affect me too much before next year now. Me and H went to B&Q yesterday and bought some cream paint to do away with the hideous colours in our new house. So sad to be excited about cream paint but I was. We have also decided on orange for the baby's room. It's H's fave colour and we were struggling with neutral colours that weren't plain cream or beige. My sister told me babies cry more in yellow rooms so I was instantly put off that as an option haha.

Hi to those that follow

• Imp, I'm glad the physio seemed helpful, even if it is resulting in you bring sweaty! Hope the bf class goes well and you getlt out of it. (And stay awake!)

Vix, I'm not surprised you're conflicted. I was in a v similar position with J and really didnt fancy an ECV. In the end he turned- be prepared for mixed emotions if that happens too after gearing up for a section and having a date! What risks is the consultant worried about if you go into labour naturally? Wouldn't they just section you in a but more of a hurry? Unless labour is super quick I'd have thought it'd still be pretty calm, plus you *can* birth a breech naturally (wouldn't be my pick either though!) One of my friends was booked for an elective due to a breech and went into labour beforehand, and she got sectioned at about 3cm, it was all fine and a very positive experience for her.

Ix, sounds very productive, well done! Enjoy a more relaxed one today.

Jonesy, hope the decision is the one you want. Orange sounds good, nice and bright, I'll look forward to flashes.

Afm, bit of a non event at the midwife, no sweeps till post 40 weeks, so had it been 3days later she'd have done one, but not today. I was in and out in 5 mins, everything fine, she said cramps all v positive,which I know anyway. So just home and chilling now, hoping things get moving soon.

• bah! That's not overly helpful. Do you have another one next week?

• Jonesy the band helped yeserday ( i was working at home), it sort of pulled me into position.  I haven't worn it today as I am working out and about in public, and don't want to look a d1ck. lol.  Vanity!

Good luck for today, I hope the resolution is one that you're happy with.  Buying pain is very exciting!  eeek!

SG booo about the mw, I will try and remember that though and get my 40 week appt at 40+.  Maybe hit the chilli sauce today?!

• Good morning,

SG, sorry you're full of cold. Fingers crossed that things get moving for you very soon.

Wispa, have a lazy day with plenty of milkshakes! Hope you enjoyed X-Men.

Imp, glad the physio gave you some tubi grip and exercises yesterday, I really hope they help. Good luck for the NCT class tonight, I bet you'll be fine while you're there, it's afterwards that you'll be tired and ready for bed. Excellent forward planning to have tomorrow off to chill :)

Vix, massive hugs to you. For what it's worth I think you're making the right decision and would opt for a planned section in your position. The birth stories that I've read that involve a planned section all seem very calm and positive xx How exciting that you know when you're going to meet your little one :)

Ixia, a rest day definitely sounds in order! Hope it goes well with the HV this afternoon.

Jonesy, how exciting to be buying paint for your new home :) Look forward to seeing before and after flashes!

AFM, I think I mentioned that I keep having 'episodes' where I feel really jittery and panicky and I'll be boiling hot and drenched in sweat. I have to sit down before I fall down. The mw thinks it's anaemia and I've been on iron and high folic acid for a week. My symptoms have changed now to just a really racing jittery heart, a bit like when you drink too much caffeine, and I have to lie on my left until everything goes back to normal. I struggle to catch my breath during them too. I went to the docs on Tues and they've redone full bloods and are also testing my thyroid. She did say that it sounded like I'm pregnant and anaemic, but they want to double check everything else just to be sure. She also said that she thought the baby was pressing on a nerve which is making me feel so suddenly faint. I'm dropping to bits! Back to the mw on Tues, hopefully the results of the bloods will be back by then.

• Imp - good news! Glad it works when its on haha.

Fig - that sounds horrid you poor thing. Hopefully you will get some help on tues with it. Are you taking it easy? Is the iron and folic acid helping at all?

• Thanks Jonesy, no the iron and folic acid don't seem to be helping yet. I think I was hoping for too much from it to be honest, I think it's more of a slow cure rather than a magic wand unfortunately. I am taking it easy thanks. It helps that I work from home. My GP was all ready to sign me off work until I explained that work curretly consists of me taking a laptop to bed with me to type up word docs as and when I feel like it...I saw the sympathy vanish from her face lol!

Have you found out the decision for the outsourcing yet? I hope it's a decision that you're happy with.

• Jonesy - Orange sounds nice for the nursery. Seeing the IL's was as good as it can be I guess - you have to do it occasionally don't you!

SG - sorry the mw was a non-event. Keeping everything crossed that things get moving for you soon.

Fig - sorry you are feeling like that. Hope you get your blood test results back on Tuesday and you start to feel normal again soon.

• And the decision is...... to make a decision next month. Words fail me. Oh well, I will only have 2 weeks left at work by then so whatever they decide to do they won't have time to implement any of it while I am still there. This probably means I will avoid a horrible handover with any outside organisation too. Not good news, not bad news.

Fig - you're still working! But I guess working from bed would be most preferable. I'm sure looking at a computer screen doesnt help though.

Ixia - full of praise there lol.

• Oh my god. I'm very very annoyed, I just typed up the mother of all personals replies and md ate it Crying

There's just so many replies, I'm sorry if this is just highlights now.

Firstly, Vix: your decision is such a difficult one, but I think you'll second guess yourself no matter what you decide.  My sister had the exact same decision back in February.  She looked into research on ECVs, vaginal breech birth, and c sections  and in the end decided not to have the ECV and opt for the elective section.  Her reasoning was that vaginal breech birth had a higher risk of EMCS, and she found out that even with a successful ECV that risk did not diminish at all and she wasn't comfortable with the idea of trying for a vaginal birth and having things go horribly wrong.  Her decision was also somewhat influenced by the fact that she had a toddler in the house.  Having a scheduled section meant she knew exactly when to have our mom come to stay to look after her boy.  Obviously that's not an thing that may influence your decision.  I know it's tough, but once your decision is made you've got to try to forget about it or all you'll do is rethink and rethink.  I hope you're feeling more settled about it all soon ((hugs))

Umm, now jonesy: x-men was awesome, I loved it.  And how rubbish about the non-decision decision today.  Frustrating.

SG, when are you seeing the MW next?  If baby isn't here yet, surely you'll get a sweep then.  As it stands I believe I'll be seeing the midwife at 40+2 or 3 so I might ask for a sweep at that appt!

Imp, if I was in pain and wearing a bizarre looking band helped I'd say screw vanity and wear it all the time!  Much like how I wore yoga trousers to the cinema yesterday.  Never would've done that before!

Fig, none of that sounds great, but hopefully the new bloods will shed more light.  

Argh, and now I'm on pg2 I can't remember everything else.  

Oh well, sat at home with my feet up now, but it had to race over to john Lewis earlier because yesterday I tried on a few nursing bras and accidentally bought the wrong one.  D'oh!  All exchanged now, and in the process I made it to Ed's diner for a milkshake.  Mint chocolate.  It was worth having to go out to bw again!