Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tummy sleeping

E is 10 months old. Recently her sleep at night has been increasingly worse. She's difficult to get down, then wakes every few hours and is difficult to get back down again. She falls asleep easily when she is lying on one of us on her front though. I know that at this age if she was rolling onto her front in her sleep then its accepted as fine to leave her. But would you feel comfortable putting her down to sleep on her tummy in the first place? I'm very torn, and very tired!!

Replies

• Options

Miss Iris is 6 weeks. She sleeps on her front.

I went over and over it in my head and battled with myself but it works for us and I am confident that its best for us.

You do what is right for you and E lady xx

• Options

C sleeps on her front - she's much more comfortable and sleeps much better that way. I used to put her down on her front and gently pat or rub her back to get her to sleep.

• Options

Thanks both, that does make me feel better about it. I'm not home for bedtime tonight, but I think we'll give it a go on Friday. Bedtime shouldn't be this hard!

• Options

N has been front sleeping since he could roll, so about 6 months. I put him straight down on his front now. Hope it works!

• Options

E is the same. We've been putting her down on her tummy since she could roll onto her back, about 8 months I think. We still sometimes have to go in during the night to flip her back onto her tummy as she really struggles to roll that way and whinges if she wakes up on her back x

• Options

I would have thought it was fine at 10 months and rolling, but if you are worried, could you try side-sleeping as a compromise? A sleeps fairly well on his side, if he is napping in the day he will fall asleep on me/H and we can put him down on his side and he'll generally stay asleep; putting him on his back leads to him waking either instantly or within 5 minutes.

• Options

My E definitely would prefer to sleep on her front atm.  I know this because she'll roll over given space to do so.  Atm she's generally either in her crib or carrycot sleeping so she can't roll as doesn't have space and I want her on her back so she's kind of stuck with that.  However when we move to the cot at 6 months (or maybe later if we're not ready then) and the sids risk falls I'll absolutely leave her however she ends up.  If she seems to favour tummy still I figure I may as well put her down that way save her the faff of moving over.  I think I'd be comfortable enough though don't know what any sort of guidelines would say that's just my instinct iyswim.

• Options

Thanks all. I did attempt to put her down on her front after she woke at 2am. It didn't go well. She instantly woke again, crawled into the corner or her cot, sat up, backed herself further into the corner and then proceeded to bawl :( Neither H nor I could settle her until she finally fell asleep on him (on her tummy no less!) at 4.30. Maybe there is more to this than just her positioning? My poor girl :( It's like having a newborn again.

Either way I can't do another full day of work on two hours sleep! She is currently asleep on H again now, but that doesn't feel like a solution.

• Options

Has she had some kind of developmental leap recently? That would explain a sleep regression. E had a bad sleep week when she started crawling (only 10 days ago!) and I suspect that's why.

The other recent really bad sleep phase we had was when she had a virus and HAD to sleep sitting up leaning on one of us in our bed. Got 2 hours sleep that night.... I actually got sent home from work the next day as I was nauseous and sweating which I suspect was mainly due to lack of sleep.

You have my sympathy hun, it's horrid trying to survive on that little sleep.

• Options

Definitely fine to put her down on her tummy at this age - as you've found out (!) she will move if she doesn't like it.

Do you think this might be related to separation anxiety? She is about the right age for it to start and it's horrible because all they want is to be with you. All. The. Time.

This too will pass, but in the meantime I would probably either cosleep or at least stay close to her all night if you can.

• Options

She started crawling last week on Wednesday. Our E's do seem to be on a similar path!

It's just frustrating as every time her sleep seems to settle and I think we're getting somewhere it goes all screwy again. What works one night won't the next.

Today was awful. It was my first day in a new job too so I wanted to make a good impression and instead I yawned constantly, couldn't focus on anything and was physically struggling to keep my eyes open. I'm quite nervous about going in now.

• Options

SL I keep going back to co-sleeping as its always been our fall back, guaranteed to work. But recently she just screams and arches away from me which is just distressing for us both. Just feeling quite stuck at the moment!