Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Twins - language delay?

My twins are just coming up to 14 months and apart from "Mama" and "Dada" don't have any proper words yet. I am sure their sister by the same age was saying all sorts (mainly lots of no, more, stop etc!). They do however seem to "talk" to each other somehow - they seem to understand each other perfectly. I know they are each different and develop at their own rate (particularly evident with mine at the moment as one is running around like a crazy child with a death wish whilst the other still bum shuffles!) but just wondered whether any other twin mums have noticed a speech delay in their twins. Part of me wonders whether it is just a second child thing? 

Replies

• Options

I don't have twins but my 2nd daughter is almost 14 months and doesn't have any words yet either apart from mama, dada, ta and even then she doesn't say them much. She points at things that she wants and will just moan until she gets what she wants!

Could be a 2nd child thing, although I think they're still very young? TBH I can't remember what words my 1st had at this stage!

• Options

Again, not twins but I noticed my second child was much slower to talk than my first. At just 14 months I really wouldn't worry x

• Options

Not twins, or even my second, but my first only said his first word other than Mama (out of context) at 13 months. He doesn't shut up at 26 months Laugh

• Options

Again not twins but O is almost 16 months and we've only over past 2 weeks got "juice", "cat" and "yeah" (clearly an  essex boy already!)...these are in addition to mama, dada, nana, ta. 14 months is still young.

• Options

I don't have twins but my 3rd is 17.5 months and he has hardly any words. He is a child who just does everything in his own time. He does play with words as you say to him say mum, he responds with dad. You then say say dad and he chuckles and says mum! I wouldn't worry about it yet at all.

• Options

Thanks all. Not worrying at all - interesting range of responses. One of my twins is the spit of my mother in law who can talk the hind leg off a donkey so once she starts talking I am guessing we'll never stop her!!!

• Options

Again, not a twin Mummy, and breaking away from what others have said, but my second was much quicker to talk than my first.

He likes to copy his big brother, and has had really clear words from quite early on, where as his older brother needed speech therapy.

14 months is still very young though.

My niece is 6 weeks older than J, and still doesn't talk much. She has 2 older brothers, and a Mum who make it so she doesn't have to talk. She points at something, and grunts, and they give it her. This was my mistake with C. He lived in a house with 6 adults, so never had to talk, to ask for things, where as I have always made J attempt to ask.