Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Unknown Gender, How Many Outfits?!

Hi Everyone. For those who didn't / aren't finding out the baby's gender, how many outfits / sleep-suits did you have prior to their arrival? I always said I'd buy just the minimum, but I seem to just want to fill my time baby shopping at the moment and I'm worried I'll end up with too much! I think I have around 5 sleep-suits (3 white, 2 with 'patterns') for if its 8lb or under, and 12 (6 white, 6 with 'patterns') for 10lb. Someone tell me thats about right and to now stop, please! Ha! My plan is to make people aware that we need 0-3 months + when baby is here, as that stage I really do have hardly anything for (3 white, 2 with 'patterns'). What can I do to get my baby fix thats not clothes shopping? Confused Cannot wait to be 37 weeks and close to meeting them now!

Replies

• Wow!  You've got more sleepers than me and I know I'm having a girl!  Though I've bought loads of non-sleepers  and stuff in sizes up to 6 months.

Sorry, unhelpful reply is really unhelpful!

• Sounds about right to me, it's nice to be able to go out and get coloured stuff once you know whether you have a boy or a girl. Have you got vests as well (sometimes called bodysuits)?

• Wispa, its all sleepsuits though! No 'outfits'!

Margot - Thanks. Yes - I have them without sleeves so like vest bodysuits? Is that right? I wondered why you would need ones with capped sleeves etc....

• It's purely personal preference whether you want long sleeves, short sleeves or sleeveless. We have a mixture now (long sleeved for under dresses or dungarees, short sleeved for day to day and sleeveless for under dresses or rompers) but had short sleeved when they were tiny as they were only in sleep suits anyway.

I'd hold off buying anymore until you know baby's gender and size, if you're near supermarkets or town then it's easy to pop and get more as needed, and I've always really enjoyed shopping for clothes once baby arrives.

• I've bought hardly anything as I get all confused as to what size he is likely to be. I also don't want too much white stuff. We were given tiny size stuff so probably just need newborn size and I think I will get maybe 10 sleep suits and some body suits? I don't know. I want to buy clothes all the time too but something stops me. We're going to end up with nothing haha. I think what you've got is fine for what it's worth.

• Thanks all. I just need to stop even looking I think! Find a different hobby, lol!

• We have around 6 'neutral' sleepsuits in newborn size and another 10 in sizes varying from up to 1 month to 0-3 months. I know I am going to want to go and buy lots more gender specific bits when they are here!

I have been satisfying my need to shop by buying dribble bibs/blankets/muslins/anything else I can justify rather than clothes!

• Pep I have about a similar amount, I would like to offer some advice as to how to stop shopping- but I am an addict too!

• Find something else to buy! I decided to use cloth nappies and that gave me a new hobby ;-)

• I have bought none and cant even see any neutral ones I like! Could you flash please ? x

• I think that's fine. I found there wasn't much in the way of neutral offerings in the shops and didn't want to dress my baby in beige! It was so hot when she was born that she was just in vests for the first couple of days. I'm one of the minority that preferred outfits from pretty early on rather than sleepsuits all the time, so my mum went out on the day she was born and bought me a couple of newborn outfits, along with a couple of packs of girl sleepsuits. On my first trip out to town a couple of days after she was born, I went and did a load of shopping in the sales!

• Next have some lovely neutral baby gro's that aren't just grey.

• Miniclub in Boots have some lovely neutral stuff at the moment.

I have waaaaay too much stuff - two large carrier bags!

Tip someone gave me was to not de-tag and wash too early, that way if you need to take them back then you can!

• SaS - of course! I think 'unisex' is such a personal choice, my H thinks stuff looks 'boy-ish' when I don't etc!

From Mothercare;

• Oh they are cute Pep! "off to search mothercare"

• And little ones in these...

From John Lewis;

From NEXT;

• I got these from Next

• Lady Laura they are too cute! That little frog hat! Awwh.