Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Urban myth? Big babies sleep better?

2»

Replies

• Options

Ha, yeah, I don't know what I would have done without the internet!

• Options

Complete myth....my brother was 9lb 1.5oz and he didn't sleep through until he was 5! Weep

• Options

And like Saisi, in the first couple of days had I not woken O for a feed he would've not bothered and become ill....the trauma etc of the quick labour left him v tired and he spent almost the whole of the first 24hrs sleeping!!

• Options
    A was 8lb 12oz at birth and now at 6 weeks is 11lb 12oz, he is a pretty good sleeper as far as wee babies go - he wakes once or twice, depending on what time he goes to bed (we don't have a set time for him yet but aim for 9ish, so bedtime is somewhere between 8 and 11 depending on what sort of day he's had).

The advice I received from midwife and later from health visitor was as long as weight gain is on track, don't wake for feeding. So only maintaining weight wouldn't be enough.
  • Options
    P was 6lb1oz and always slept a lot. From a few days old she'd feed once or twice a night and from 9 weeks slept 12-13 hours a night and still does. I don't think there are any rules with these things. This baby is almost certainly going to be bigger and I'm praying I haven't used up my good sleeping luck!!
  • Options

Not here, A was 9lb and out on over a lb a week, meaning he was well north of the 99.6th centile. Woke for 1-3 night feeds until 9 months old. M is following 75th centile and has been sleeping through since 6 weeks.

Both exclusively bf.

(M is sooo going to break soon. I just know it!)

• Options

Complete myth. My first was 11lb 7oz at birth and only slept through when she got to 2.5! She is still well over 99th centile for height and weight.

2nd is just above 50th centile and sleeps so much better than her sister. I'm dreading the 17week developmental leap as I'm sure everything will change then x

• Options

Sam was similar to Saisi's A in that he had jaundice (which I understood was because he hadn't fed?) Anyway he had an infection so different to the typical baby, but even so, I thought at first they weren't meant to go longer than 6 hours without a feed? In S' case, in hospital, we were told 3 hours max - I remember setting my alarm for 4 a.m. - like I'd ever need to do that now!! I think when we got home and he was a week old and getting better we were told 6 hours at night. Perhaps it's different with jaundice babies, it would make sense, though I doubt now sleeping for 12 hours would be advised when so young. It's completely different for a 5 week old RKB.

To answer the OQ, S was a big 'un - 9lb 9oz and did sleep very well until 4.5 months, and even now that he's a rubbish sleeper, he still goes 9ish hours overnight without food. I think it has been more because he fed very regularly in the day and cluster fed in the evening, not because of the size of his tummy / general size of him.

• Options

Well I feel pretty well placed to reply as mine were 7lb difference! Neither slept well initially and fed very often.

Baby one slept through from 4 months, baby 2 (whopper) slept through for a couple of weeks at about 3 months then broke and still isnt really sleeping through at 7 months!