Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What centile...?

We dug out Harry's little red book from when I was pregnant before. First scan, birth measurements, HV comments, BF-ing progress etc. 

I was interested because we're thinking babies these days, but also because we've been asked to attend a genetics clinic due to his growth. He was 55cm long (98th centile) but now is off the charts. When he was about 8 we projected his height using his, mine and his dad's stats and it came out at 6ft 2 max. He's almost 6ft 7. His position on the growth chart currently is shown above. 

I was just curious as to whether others found the birth size to be closely linked - or not - to future size. I was also trying to project how large this one might be, but I imagine it's just total guesswork!

Replies

• I was 10lb at birth so very high on centiles and I'm now just shy of 5ft10.

My eldest was born on 91st but prem and he's tall at nearly 5.

This one was born way off the scale and continues to be on or above the top line. I'd be surprised if he's below 6ft3 as an adult
  • Id say for most its quite accurate. Phoebe was 50% percentile and she is a diddy thing. Im average height so she may well end up.similar.

Aaron was born below the 0.4% centile line and im not sure what line he  is now hes not overly tall but not small. His dad is 6ft4.

• M was 58cm at birth, and is still tall for her age, although I'm pretty sure her male friends are now as tall if not taller than her - which I suppose is normal. Ms best friend was born on 9th centile and often gets Ms hand me downs!

M was 50th centile for weight and didn't stop eating the first few months, to the extent I switched to formula feeding because I thought she wasn't getting enough from me - her weight quickly shot up to be in proportion to her height which again makes sense and ill be more aware of this time.

In terms of guessing re this one - Ms 9th centile 3.5 year old friend has an almost 1 year old brother who is only a few pounds lighter than her, so guessing what this one will be like may be difficult.

Plus, I'm 5'7, H is 5'6 and all his family are short, so Ms height def isn't related to ours! My sis is 5'11 though and my dad was 6', so there's possibly some genetics trail there but it's def not a direct correlation

• H's family are all well over 6' except his mum who is 5' and his sister who is 5'10. The 4 boys are all huge and were over 10lb as babies. His youngest bro was nearly 11lb and is 6'5 now. I was 8lb and am 5'3, p was 6lb1 and 2nd centile. She grew to 25th centil quickly then 50th once weaned and has stayed there. She is a shorty and so I think will be like me. This baby boy is above average so far and long so I suspect like his daddy. I'm terrified of him being huge as I'm lit
  • Weekender, 58cm seems long to me. Harry was big and long but only 55cm and now he's enormous. My real dad was 6ft 4, mum 5ft 2. I'm not quite 5ft 8. Harry's dad is 6ft. So I'm thinking the height has come from my side (my dad).

Hubby is 6ft 3 and his sister is 6ft so I'm sort of thinking this one could be v lanky indeed.

Although a lot of families seem to have an outlier. I went out with a guy with a tiny mum, none of the men were over 5ft 10, except one brother who was 6ft 5 and stuck out like a sore thumb!!

• My h's mum and dad were similar height i think 5'8 and 5'7 maybe? His bro is 6ft and h is 6ft4.

• My parents are 6ft 4 and 5ft 4. My brother is 6ft2 so luckily both got dad's height!
  • Apparently boys are 'supposed' to grow to be just taller than their dad and girls are supposed to grow to be inbetween their mum and dad (assuming dad is taller than mum). My brother is taller than my dad, but I'm the shortest one in the family - however this could be related to the fact that I became a vegetarian aged 11 whereas the rest of them all eat meat.

Weight-wise A was born on the 25th, went down to the 9th for a bit, then shot up to 75th (probably due to eating like there was no tomorrow) and is now hovering between 50th and 75th since becoming mobile... so who knows about him haha.

• W was born on the 98th and dropped to the 91st over time. I'm tiny (5'1) and H is 5'10. W is 7 months old and already in 9 to 12 month clothes. So I'll be interested to see how tall he gets.