Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When to buy nursing bras?

Remind me, when should I get measured and buy a couple of nursing bras?

My boobs have been a 36D since about 14 weeks which is the same as with N, then when he was born my bras had to be 36DD for quite a while.

I'm planning on a 2 pack from Mothercare initally then I'll treat myself to a few Hot Milk ones as u just had basic ones last time.

But at how many weeks should I get measured? N's labour started at 40+1 so I'm assuming it'll be similar again.

37/38weeks? Earlier??

TIA!

Replies

• When I got measured at about 20 weeks the lady said to go back at about 38 weeks to get measured for a nursing bra. I'm not keen on the M&S ones and the Mothercare ones didn't fit well so I've just ordered 2 hotmilk ones from the nursing bra shop online. I'm wearing 34DD now so have just gone down a size to 32dd and they fit fine with room for growth just in case!

• Where did you get measured Pinky?

• I was measured at 38+2 and had him at 39 weeks. As soon as my milk came in on day 4/5 I've not been able to wear the nursing bras I bought and they were the biggest waste of £50 I've ever spent. I've gone up 2/3 cup sizes.

• M&S Hep.

Oh bloody hell Hatters don't tell me that!!

• Sorry pinky! Maybe I'm just a one off...

• I've bought all nursing bras to wear throughout pregnancy. Gone from 36A to 36D so far which was the size my boobs settled at with S. I suspect I might be a bit bigger this time. All the hotmilk bras I have have 6 sets of hooks so if your back shrinks they're very adjustable. I love them, well worth the money!

• I was told after 36 weeks and down a back size but up 1 or 2 cup sizes - I have decided to go with the bravado bra until I know how big they are going to get... And then buy sized ones then

• Shall go at 37 weeks then to mothercare and get measured! Thanks Smile

I binned all the nursing ones I had before as had worn them to death so a cheaper 2 pack will do me initially. Plus I have the night feeding crop tops for while my milk comes in, when I have boulder boobs!

• Like HT I was such a different size at 39 weeks to the day of birth when I needed to start feeding and then different when my milk came in 5 days later..

Aa it happened I never bought nursing bras as I started with nursing vests with built in support.  Saved me a fortune as BF didn't work out.

• I got mine at 37 weeks and they're still fine now, but three months in I'm really wishing I'd done as you plan to and splashed out on some Hot Milk ones- I'm just telling myself that I can splurge on nice bras after I stop BFing instead!

• I paid £23 each for my hot milk ones which i didn't think was terrible

• 37-38 weeks is about right I think. I wouldn't go to Mothercare to get fitted though - they are notoriously bad at measuring (told me I was a 42G when two other places said 36H - which was a much better fit). I would go to John Lewis or Bravissimo, even if you don't end up buying from there. And Zulily often have HotMilk on offer so worth keeping an eye out on upcoming deals.

• £23 each is really good Pinky. I just want to be sure I'm buying the right size so going to wait as my boobs were inflated for a good month or so last time!

Is there a Bravissimo in Reading SL? I haven't got on well with M&S or JL in Reading in the past!

• Yes - Bravissimo is opposite the side entrance of JL (right near Bill's, where we do Bumps and Babies on a Mon pm if you ever fancy it)

• I haven't yet!!

I've got 2 of the 2 packs of sleep nursing bras from Mothercare (the crop top style ones), in a 14 (I'm a 36GG at the moment), so they should last me the first couple of weeks, then I'm going to go get measured and my H has promised me some pretty bras (I'm thinking Hot Milk ones!)

• Just hunted this out and realised I never replied! Thanks SL. Didn't realised B&B was at Bills. I work on MOndays at the moment but once I'm on Maternity I may pop along x

• These are really good as they are really stretchy and adjust to accommodate growing / shrinking boobs until you settle down and can splash out on pretty (well as pretty as nursing bras can be) ones

www.carriwell.com/.../nursing_bra.asp

I'd say as well that it is always worth a look at Figleaves, they have their own brand called Maternity Grace which look lovely and are a reasonable price.

• Figleaves outlet is great online and like Jelly Baby says the midnight grace range is great...I got 2 from there for Just under £30 in total, and they were fab....get measured and then shop around for sure!