Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

which baby oil?

M is nearly 3 weeks old, I haven't needed to put any products on her skin yet and just use water for topping and tailing/bathing but her feet are quite dry so I'd like to use some oil to moisturise them. Am wondering what you all use/recommend? x

Eta, actually if you could recommend any products you use for your baby's skin that would be great, I don't want to use things unnecessarily but don't want to not use things either if they benefit baby! First time mum alert :)

Replies

• I'd personally avoid "baby"oils as the perfumed element can aggravate their skin. We used olive oil with O...He had v dry patches and it worked a treat

• I was going to say olive oil like coco said. We used it for L as he'd quite dry skin, mw told us not to use lotions/baby oil/talc etc due to chemicals.

The olive oil helped Ls hands and feet

• I was told to not to use baby oil or even olive oil due to some acid in it (from a quick google www.babycentre.co.uk/.../can-i-use-olive-oil-to-massage-my-baby) so my hv gave me epiderm which worked well on dry patches.

• Thanks everyone, mw said olive oil but like tweetie said there's evidence it might not be best, google suggests sunflower oil now, so much conflicting info isn't there! Will steer clear of any  fragenced products.x

• W had horrendously dry skin on his feet when he was little.  I used a baby butter and massaged it into his skin and it worked well, but as others have said, you need to watch that anything you use doesn't aggravate their skin.

• O had bad skin but has eczema linked to his cmpi. Before this however our HV told us to avoid 'traditional' baby lotions/oils and she actually recommended is it burts bees or something? Anyway it cost a fortune but was amazing!

We now use double base (prescribed) and he has no dry skin of bad eczema patches.

And OMG how is M nearly 3 weeks already!