Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

white cell count

hi ladies, i have opened my post this morning and i have a letter stating the below :

the result of your recent blood test indicates a repeat test is required in 2 weeks, this is due to white cell count being 17.3

this is not cause for concern at present and repeating the blood test will indicate if any treatment is required.

iv also got a copy of the pathology report and my white cells are 17.3 and the range is 3.9-11.0

has anyone had similar to this? do you know what this could mean ? or what treatment might be necessary?

i always thought white blood cells fought infection, however i havent felt ill or under the weather at all ?

Replies

• monnie, mine is at 17. They don't know why. GP couldn't help. Gave me anti-biotics, I felt/feel better but it didn't sort it. I was due to go back to the GP to discuss again but the b*tch of a receptionist wound me up and I ended up in tears, couldn't get an appointment (ring on day thing, when I am already at work in a different town blah blah) so I may go back next week.

Neither the doctor nor the midwife seemed concerned in the slightest (and the midwife said it's not baby-related), though I would like to know what's going on! :)

• so they gave you anti biotics and didnt explain what they thought it was?

its made isnt it, they just chuck pills at people now in the hope it goes away ?

• raised white blood cells are a sign your body is fighting an illness (even a simple cold), your body produces more when you ill to fight off any bugs x

• monnie

so they gave you anti biotics and didnt explain what they thought it was?

its made isnt it, they just chuck pills at people now in the hope it goes away ?

To be honest, doc didn't want to give me anything but I was quite rough and it had been when I'd been at the hospital having the funny turn (headache/photophobia etc etc) and I wanted to at least try ABs. I don't know whether they helped or I would have felt better anyway, but I did feel better than I had.