Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

WWYD? Toddler with high temp

J (21 months) has had a high temp for 72 hours now. He was seen at out of hours on Tues night and gp thinks it's viral, all checks were clear but he wouldn't open his mouth so she couldn't rule out anything with his throat. She did say his glands were swollen. Calpol/nurofen perk him up but as soon as they wear off his temp is up at 40.5. He's drinking lots so I'm happy he isn't dehydrated. I'm thinking theres no point taking him back to the gp tomorrow but just looking for a 2nd opinion really 

Replies

• Erin has been the same since Monday. I'd say if he's ok when his temp is down and drinking I'd just carry on. E's fever finally broke this evening. Obviously usual proviso re your mummy sense! Xxx

• That's what I'm thinking, he's his usual wild self when the calpols working! Glad E is on the mend x

• Yep I agree, if its controlled by meds and he's fine in himself (apart from the normal poorlyness) then I'd ride it out x

• I would go back to the doctors and get them to check his throat. My youngest has had 6 febrile convulsions, 3 he had all within 18 hours of each other could have been prevented if 4 doctors had picked up that he had tonsilitius

• Thanks all, I think ill see how he is today. Can always back to out of hours over the weekend if needed.

• I'd go to the GP to get him to look in his throat. That's a bit of a poor excuse really that he wouldn't open his mouth. It's standard to check ear nose and throat and glands with children

• Thanks CP, had him checked again and the doc is happy it's just viral. Said his throat is a wee bit red and glands a bit swollen but just to keep giving the calpol etc