Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Your decision to be induced

2»

Replies

• OB sorry your struggling, have you looked into a birth reflections? I had one after my birth and although I'm still not 100% over it- it made things slightly better for me. I did wait 4.5 months until I felt strong enough to talk through it all

• No I don't. I'm not a medical expert and the experts said that the baby would be better out, so it was best for him. The labour was awful for me but I don't matter compared to T. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though to get him out safely.

I've heard of birth reflections, I wasn't sure how it could help though? I know what happened, what more is there to say about it? How do you go about organising it if you did want it?

• I was induced at term because I has GD and my baby was measuring massive (9lb14 at 38 weeks). If anything I wanted to be induced a bit earlier as I was so scared about getting the giant baby out. The induction itself went well. Only issue was trying to push our a back to back massive baby which resulted in forceps.

It was very intense as they ramped up the drip very quickly.

In a mythical world I would probably opt for a much earlier induction or a section.
  • You contact the hospital and they arrange it for you or your HV if you still see one, for me it was useful in that I got to see all my notes, had my baby's tracings explained to me in depth and I got to discuss what would happen if I decided to have another baby. For me it was to mainly gain reassurance that everything was done at the right time and in mine and baby's best interest. I had trusted everything they did but needed it reinforcing as such. You may not find it useful and it may not help to go through it all again xx

• With Zoe i refused induction at 40+9.  It was being done due to hospital policy and when I said that I didn't want to be induced the medical staff were totally accepting of that.  I was rescheduled for 40+11 with an appointment for monitoring at 40+10.  As it turned out I went in to labour at 40+11.    The reasons I had for refusing induction were that I didn't feel overdue, hard to explain but I felt amazing and just didn't feel the need, I hadn't found any research that convinced me that a routine induction for being overdue was necessarily the most appropriate thing, I knew that my mum had gone overdue by 2 weeks with each of us and finally I was terrified of having to give birth in hospital.  That was the strongest factor to me, added with it the NCT pushing that "induction is the start of the chain of intervention".

With Orla I chose to have an ELCS although I was given the option of any date I opted for 39 weeks.  So whilst not an induction per se it was a choice to evict her before she was necessarily ready.  I felt horrendous and there is no way i could have coped with being pregnant for any longer.  As it turns out when I went in the day before for my pre-op appointment she was transverse and so I was kept in, and should have been in from 37 weeks.  I knew all along that she was lying funny, and asked several times if she was breach to be told she wasn't.  Turns out that what they thought was head to bum and feeling along her spine was actually knee to knee as she was froggy legged and sideways.