Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

When should I see the doc?

I got two positives today, and I'm wondering when is the time to go see a doctor to get the official confirmation. Ideally, in my head, I feel like I should wait a week or two (given if I am pregnant I'd be 4 weeks). Is this a correct strategy to use? 

Replies

• In our area the doc does nothing. I went to see mine when pregnant with my first. He just said congratulations and told me to make a midwife appointment at around 8/9 weeks. With my Second I didn't go to the doctor at all I just Made MW appointment again at around 9 weeks. 

• Hello and congratulations!  Don't know whether it's different in different areas but gp unlikely to do anything (ie a test to confirm) and would ask you to complete midwife forms and to recommend folic acid,  stopping smoking etc. It's a bit of an anti climax but once midwife contacts you things start to get moving xxx 

• I'm in the U.S. we don't really do midwife stuff here unless you choose to do it for a personal reason. I hadn't realized this was more of an overseas forum even though it's helped me a lot! 

• Ah its great talking to ladies in other countries,  whereabouts in the usa are you? (my son coming over to work in a summer camp soon!). Quite possibly it's all different so maybe give your doctors receptionist a call and ask for advice.  Let us know how you get on?! 

http://www.madeformums.com/lib/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

• I live in the Midwest, in a state called Missouri! I actually live in the city that has the Gateway Arch which is something you might know or might not. It's like a monument much like the Iffle tower is for Paris. 

I'm thinking I read somewhere that all the doc can do this early is confirm your pregnancy and that they can't do an ultrasound until week 6. I actually don't have a usual obgyn or really a doctor. I don't go to the docs all that often, and given that my husband has been my only sex partner, keeping up with an obgyn hasn't really been necessary.

• That's intereating it's all different in USA. I'd phone the doctor and get it confirmed. Gps here pretty much say congrats and book a midwife app. They say home pregnancy tests are so accurate they don't do other tests. Here they scan 10 to 12 wks and 18 to 20 wks unless there's problems. Before six weeks they won't see anything but a little sac. After 6 weeks you could possibly see tiny baby and heartbeat.  I'd phone your doc and see how they wish to progress.

• Thanks butterfly!

• Hi fingertip... Im in the US too. My docs ask you to wait 2 weeks past your period due date then go in to get a blood test with them so that (if positive) they can make the referral for you to an obgyn. the referral needs to be made so that it is authorized by your health insurance (well that's how it works with my insurance anyway). 

If you have any other questions just ask & I'll try my best to help!

• Re: the obgyn: You'll have your 'booking in' appointment around 8-10 weeks... At this they do a scan, bloods & urine. You'll then see the OB monthly until kater on in the pregnancy when that will increase. All being well, you'll get your next scan at 20 weeks. You'll be offered a 'quad screen' blood test at around 16 weeks & every time you go they check urine & heartbeat.

• Thanks a bunch!