Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

First GP appointment not until May!

Hi everyone,

So we found out I'm pregnant last week so now I'm 5 weeks. I phoned the doctors to book an appointment so I can be revered to midwife and their next appointment is 5th May.

By then I'll be 11 weeks and I'm concerned that will be too late to get booked in and get the first scan booked.

Does anyone know if this is normal or have any advice? 

This is a new and scary world which isn't helped by random bursts of crying image

Thanks x

Replies

• It's getting increasingly common for Doctor appointments to be long away might be worth booking a telephone appointment with Doctor and explaining all this he may slot you in soon or suggest another option? 

• Hi, you dont need a referal for the midwife you just make ur appointment with them! No need to go to gp, just tell receptionist that you have had positive pregnancy test and they will book midwife for u, thats what mines did! Good luck ☺

• I called doctor and they told me to contact midwife. The midwife then called me, took some details and then gave me an appointment, which was at 10 weeks. Inbetween I received a letter in the post with my appointment for the first scan. Therefore I don't think you actually have to wait to see the midwife before you will be booked in for your scan. x

• Thanks ladies.  I phoned the doctors back and had a chat with them.  It's the protocol at that doctors to see the GP before the midwife but the receptionist was great and agreed this was too late and din't give enough time for the GP to pass my details on to the GP.  They've booked me in for today so I can be put on the midwife's list ready :-)

Thanks for the advice, you all really chilled me back out :-)

xx

• thats great news good luck