Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 week scan, two gestational sacs, only one heartbeat

Hello

Yesterday I had a 6 week scan under the fertility clinic and they saw two sacs, one had a baby measuring 6w1d with a good heartbeat, then she said there was another sac with a yolk but no visible foetal pole or heartbeat. 

I've got to go back on the 27th for another scan to check on the progress of the second 'baby'. Does anyone know what this could be? Is there any possibility that there could be another little baby in there? It seems unlikely to me as it's far behind the other. I know 2 weeks isn't long, but I'm going crazy not knowing.  x

Replies

• I went for my 6 week scan same thing featal pole and prob heart beat in one nothing but empty sac the other hahaha   Repeat scan two weeks later showed otherwise my twins were born on the 29th Dec weighing just 1oz between them.  Now it could be vanishing twin but it's just a wait and see game as agonising as the two week wait. But yes you could be having twins.  Good luck can't wait to here how you get on xxxxx

• imageMy first scan

imageTwo weeks later

• Hi Kayagh

thanks for your response. Everything's a 2 week wait isn't it?! The days are so long in these constant 2 weeks. 

Are your twins ok? I'm so confused at the minute because we never even thought about the possibility of twins - there are none in either of our families and I'm not on fertility drugs.

I've heard of vanishing twin and part of me thinks that it will be that (because I can only cope with one at a time!), but the other part really hopes that it's not and that the second one pulls through and I can see it in 2 weeks. 

x

These are my scans from yesterday. the bottom one is the 'good one' the top is the dubious one. x

• I know that feeling very very well there is twins in my family but I lost a tube 5 years ago so it never crossed our minds  I had 3 children already and him 1.  Either way the joy at the 8 week scan when I saw both little heartbeats was amazing obviously would have been happy with one but it's a funny thing isn't it yes there's one but knowing there could have been another.  they reckon vanishing twin is common too I must have read so much online but deep down hoping my wee egg was ok and had grown.  

The wait is awful single pram double pram etc etc.  My twins are fantastic I had a boy and a girl and yes it's double the work and yes my life is crazy busy with 5 full time kids(twins,9,11 and 14) 1 seven year old autistic stepdaughter but you know would not swap it for anything. Twins themselves are relatively easy we are very chilled but very organised and somehow it all works and my and hubby even get out for lunch every week (when he's home works on ships 3mnyh on 3mnth off) 

mid you need to chat while you wait just message me on here. I used to get upset when people say oh well at least there's one baby.  

• Thank you for your understanding, it is such an odd feeling and I am very grateful after years of infertility to be having one, but I cannot stop thinking about the second one.

My husband was in the merchant navy, and it was tough 4 months on 2 months off just us two, God knows how you cope with kids too!

Thanks again xx

• I've got everything crossed for you your scan pics look very hopeful brings back memories it's been nearly a year since we found out about our two and I adore them so much I feel they are total little miracles with my history of an ectopic and tubal rupture leaving me with reduced fertility.

A fellow Mariners wife too the kids get me through his time away currently day 16 of an approximate 3 and 1/2 month trip and the babies keep me pretty busy plus very good to cuddle and cry too during the harder moments It's a tough way of life that most don't understand but at least his rotation seems static at the moment tho there was a moment when his back to back expected him to stay til August that be 5 months erm no I don't think so they seem to have enough captains right now so it should be ok to get relief to him early July. 

Keep smiling and hoping you could be another twin mummy to the group.  

• How are you bearing up any changes.  Nearly the 27th now fingers crossed you get the news you want xxx

• Hiya, I'm ok thanks, it's been a long few days. I'll let you know what happens on Wednesday x

• Well, an update. The second hasn't made it through, so we're expecting one healthy looking little baby in December. A little sad, but I thought this would happen. x

• Awwww congratulations good luck with the rest of the pregnancy 

• thank you for your support. X