Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Internal scan

Hi all, 

just a bit worried and wanted some advice and maybe hear form anyone else who has had a similar experience. 

I was getting pains in my left side and arm a couple of days ago and was sent to a&e by my dr as he thought i could be having an ectopic pregnancy, at a&e  was given an internal scan. its not an ectopic thank god, they found the sack where it should be and could also see the amniotic sack  which measured 2.5cm and the start of the fetaus which measured 2mm but no heart beat :( i thought I was around 6 weeks but the dr estimated at 5w 2d .. So my questions.. Are them measurements ok? Is it normal not to see a heartbeat yet? 

Thank x

Replies

• Hi Siany,

Sorry to hear you have been in pain but it must be a relief to find out baby is where he should be. 

I'm not sure about your measurements but I know that often dates can be a little out and heartbeats aren't always detected until 6-7 weeks. Did the doctors seem concerned? Have they booked you in for another scan?

• Hi Lucylou1 thanks for your reply, 

They didn't seem to concerned and booked me back in for 01/08 (next monday) but we can't help but worry. When you say 6-7 weeks is that with and internal scan ? Or a normal scan? 

We're still in shock that I'm even pregnant we tried for 4 years before having ivf for our first! Just hoping eveything is ok.

Thanks again. 

• Hi Siany,

What a relief it's in the right place. Those measurements sound perfectly normal for the rough dates & Lucylou is correct in the fact heartbeats aren't normally picked up until closer to 7wks into term (it's simply too small before that point). Hope all goes well at your next scan

• Thanks you KazzieM  :) 

• I had a simalar experience and had an internal scan done at wht I thought was around 6 weeks i was he same three found sac and no heartbeat and measured me at only 5 weeks. I went back 2 weeks later and everything was perfect and I'm not 38 weeks pregnant. Easier said than done but try not to worry. I was certain they had got it wrong with dates and was imagining the worst when we went back. Xx