Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Off work and being forced to go back

ive been signed off sick for the past month pregnancy related due to sickness and dizziness my work is a long journey with many changes, as doc signed me off as I keep getting so dizzy and can't travel far work decided to tell me they would try and put me in office closer to me upon being off sick work came to see me after only 2 weeks being off sick and said that travelling so far isn't ideal for me blah blah they would put me in office closer now after they've emailed me it seems they are trying to make me go back to normal travelling so far away even though im not well enough to go back and demanding to know the return date off my sick note any advice? 

Replies

• They can not force you back to work. Your Dr has signed you off for a reason, they need to respect that. They are also obliged to risk assess your job & whether you can continue safely performing that role or need a suitable alternative.

You can not give notice of your return to work without either yourself or your Dr deeming you fit to do so, you should be returning to your Dr/MW shortly before the end date on your medical note & discussing whether your health has improved or the period off needs extending.

Work may not like the fact you are off but they legally have to keep your job available for you to return to & the worst they can do is insist you start maternity leave at 36wks into term. Don't be bullied by them, if they continue to push tell them you will be speaking to ACAS (free legal employment advice, usually the name alone sees many employers back down)