Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should I do pregnancy yoga?

Pretty much, yes! 

It can strengthen your body and mind throughout your pregnancy, connect you to your breath, help keep you healthy and lead you to a more empowered birth.  Plus you'll meet and make meaningful connections with other local women on the same journey! 

It should help you to combat lower back pain and fatigue and get your blood flowing round your joints which might swell during your pregnancy.

TIPS:

- Join a prenatal yoga class with a qualified instructor to make sure you are practising safely.  

- Practise kegels left, right and centre.  You need to strengthen your pelvic floor during this time, which will help to restore muscle tone after birth. Don't wait for class to practise.  Do them as often as poss every day.

- Don't be afraid to move to a wall during balancing poses.  Your balance can change during pregnancy.

- Avoid abdominal crunches, deep lunges, forward bends, low back twists and anything that closes the belly.  

- Don't overstretch. Favour strengthening over stretching as your ligaments are more vulnerable during pregnancy.

- Don't lie flat on your back after the 4th month as this can cause dizziness for your and loss of oxygen and blood to mum and baby due to the pressure of the baby on mum's vein to the heart. It's safer to elevate your head and heart by five degrees by lying back over a folded blanket. When it's time for relaxation, lie on your left side, supported by bolsters and blankets (fold one under your belly to support baby).

- Drink plenty of water and nip to the loo whenever you need. 

- Don't hold your breath and avoid any breathing exercises which require breath retention.  Keep your breath smooth and even. 

Hope this is helpful!  @AnneLRussell

Replies

• I should add that forward bends in themselves are fine - just in pregnancy, avoid those which compress your belly! image

• I say yes. Pregnancy yoga is really helpful in easing the delivery and reducing the pain. Also it keeps us more relaxed and happy, and a happy mother means a healthy baby.