Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

No scan?!! Arggghh

Hi I've just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant, read the pack sent to me by my doctor and it says that in my area they don't practice routine dating scans......I am taking this to mean that I won't experience my first scan until 20 weeks which is really annoying/upsetting me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Obviosuly I will ask the midwife when i first meet her (they've said I can expect a phonecall in a few weeks!) but this feels totally wrong- we were intending to wait until out first scan confirmed the baby was there, ok etc before we told people- what are we meant to do now? I have no symptoms at all either so I feel the need to have this scan all the more to check everything is ok.........

Any advice welcome.....I was thinking I might just go private for that first scan I seriously don't think I can wait until 5 months pregnant b4 I see my baby is ok.

Another reason I want it is that we are flying to Florida on 3 Jan, and back again on 18th Jan and although the risks of flying in the first trimestre and really low it's still a risk huh? I want to make sure it's ok when i get back - it would be perfect as I'll be 12 weeks by end Jan.

Replies

• heya, im kim and i am 20 weeks pregnant, my baby is due april 30th. i live in plymouth and they dont practice routine dating scans here either! i was given the date of my first scan as november 20th, where we found out the baby is a boy and not only that but my due date was put back 2 weeks!! so i thought i was 19 weeks and in fact i was only 17 weeks.

but one good thing is that i get to have another scan on the 15th december because you need to be 19 weeks gestational age to take accurate measurements of the baby.

try not to worry about not having any symptoms, because i still havent had any!! well, im just beginning to feel the baby move now and i have a bump but apart from that i havent felt any different at all. i feel lucky actually because i know people that have been sick every day for the whole of their pregnancies and they were miserable.

i didnt even hear the baby's heartbeat until i was 12 weeks so i would expect that when you return from your holiday you will hear the heartbeat loud and clear, which is an amazing experience and puts all your worriesto rest. my fiancee even cried when we heard it for the first time.

good luck with everything and enjoy your holiday

xxx
  • Hi kimmy, thanks for your reply- it must be a South West NHS thing I'm in Bristol! What a bummer!

I've tentatively booked in for a private booking scan at 10 weeks so that I can be reassured the baby has a heart beat when we get back from Florida - it costs ??99 for for my peace of mind I feel it's worth it. Then I can wait the next 10 weeks safe in the knowledge that it was definitely alive and heart beating at 10 weeks.

How did you get to hear the heart beat at 12 weeks? (I was imaging you had super-hero style hearing but am guessing some techincal device may be involed - ha ha) To be honest that would be fine for me....as long as I have some reassurance prior to the 20 week stage that baby is alive I think I can wait.

[Modified by: Evie_2006 on December 12, 2006 12:25 PM]
  • hi evie...was reading your post thinking our nhs boards should club together. I'm in Lothian and we get a 12 week scan, but not a 20week scan unless because of complications....and even then I think they have to be really severe complications...it doesn't seem fair does it? Everyone assumes that they'll get 2 scans and be able to show off wee tiny baby piccas at around 13 weeks, and again to show how BIG they've gotten....O well...luck of the draw I suppose :roll: goodluck with your private scan and enjoy your hols. xxxx
  • Crazy isn't it? I've paid my national insurance as I should do I WANT MY 2 SCANS!!!! hee hee.....I'm not sure which I'd rather have given the choice, the 12 wk, or the 20 wk. I'm so impatient I think I'd pick the 12 wk purely because then i could see my baby sooner - not the most medical of reasons lol.

Feel better now I've booked in the private one.

Take care
    xxx
  • hi again, im glad u managed to get booked in for a private scan, i know how important it is to feel reassured that your baby is alive and well!

i heard the heartbeat through a doppler ultrasound machine, the same type of one used for the regular scans but because it isnt hooked up to a monitor screen it only gives you sound not pictures! i think they do that here simply because they dont offer the dating scan on the nhs, but to hear the heartbeat was enough for me. like you said, you just need peace of mind that all is ok.

you will love the 20 week scan, i saw every little detail of my baby including all his internal organs and his brain!! he even waved his little arms for the picture hehe.

take care kimmi xxx
  • I think its terrible that there cutting down on scans. Its not just for the parents to see n all that.but if there is anything wrong it gives u the choice for decisssion. My last pregnancy was my 4th. Thought I was beyond problems n all that due to all d experience n stuff,so instead of going private like I did with my other 3 i decided to go nhs. At 20 wks ultrasound showed abnormality in the spine and water on the brain. Was rushed over to uk as I live in Malta but it was to late to do anytbing, she was still born at 34wks. Im now having my 5th and as with all my otheres im going privatley. I get a ultrasound every 2 wks,which has shown baby fine,but placenta low which needs carefull observation etc. Its costing me 15liri every appt which is about 27sterling and that includes ultrasound etc. Its not cheap over a 9mth period but theres no way im taking the risk again.
  • i do really feel sorry for you all i live in ipswich(yes where the new ripper is) and with my first pregnancy i had 2 scans and i know that with this one i will have both. it is so reasuring to have them x
  • HI,
    You should tell them that you are worried about some inhreited disease, or that you have been getting pains or something and that you MUST have a scan, if fibbing is the only way to get one! it's ridiculous. if they won't give you one then you are sensible to pay for a private one, i would. i have had three scans now, an extra one last Monday because they thought that his tummy was growing faster than the rest of him. latest scan showed that he is growing normally in every way - phew. i hope that you get your scan! good luck xc
    p.s Chiana, hi! i'm a Suffolk girl too, come from Aldeburgh, sadly have to live in London but will move back to East Anglia as soon as i can! Now don't be hanging around on street corners at night!!