Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

pregnant and working still

I work in a small team and when one of the ladies was expecting a baby, our direct boss had a meeting with her to discuss health and safety, maternity rights, benefits etc.. etc...

Me and my friend on the team are pregnant but we havent even had this meeting or anything mentioned. My friend is 34 weeks and is due to go on maternity leave on 16th Feb but she still hasnt had 'the meeting'! she has no idea what maternity rights she has or anything and I only know what Ive learnt on here or from my previous pregnancy.

Our boss is friends with the other woman so I guess thats why she favours her. she has now had her baby but when she was pregnant she must have had the equivalent of 4 weeks paid off work for her morning sickness and even when she did work she spent most of the time in the loo or moaning about how ill she felt.

I had one day off the other day due to a virus and sickness but I returned even though I still feel ill. the boss came and spoke to me yesterday to say that they would take the hours from my wages!

I have been with the company for 4 years and this is only my 3rd day sick in that time!

I went to the boss yesterday to talk about maternity rights and when I would be leaving and she said ''oh I havent got time now, we'll talk at a later date''

why do some people get favoured? has anyone experienced this?

http://bd.lilypie.com/d1a40/.png

Replies

• That's rough! I would say that they are not allowed to dock your pay for time you take off sick, especially as you are pg. They say if you are off work for 7 consecutive working days you might be asked for a Dr note but less than that, they are not allowed to ask etc. I think that is the legal requirement in the UK. You have every right to know your maternity allowance etc so I would email your boss and copy in HR to request further information. State that the other lady had info early on etc, and also perhaps mention your boss saying about your pay - at least that way there will be an email trail and they are obliged to look after you well now that you are pg! Try not to let it stress you out either as you are certainly not in the wrong so need not worry. Good luck -
  • I agree with Little Toad, about e-mailing your boss and copying in HR but i'm not sure about sick pay though as i'm pretty certain my husband doesn't get sick pay if he's off. Check your contract to make sure.

I think by the 24 or 25th week you have to officially inform your employer about your leaving date, maybe she's waiting for your MatB1 form? But you should have had some kind of chat with her by now, even if its just to discuss health and safety.

My HR was ok, except she was supposed to tell People Services and forgot so when they received my MatB1 they phoned to ask me why I hadn't informed them. She did organise for me to have a risk assessment early on though.

I think the website directgov.uk helps with things like this.
  • I agree with Little Toad, about e-mailing your boss and copying in HR but i'm not sure about sick pay though as i'm pretty certain my husband doesn't get sick pay if he's off. Check your contract to make sure.

I think by the 24 or 25th week you have to officially inform your employer about your leaving date, maybe she's waiting for your MatB1 form? But you should have had some kind of chat with her by now, even if its just to discuss health and safety.

My HR was ok, except she was supposed to tell People Services and forgot so when they received my MatB1 they phoned to ask me why I hadn't informed them. She did organise for me to have a risk assessment early on though.

I think the website directgov.uk helps with things like this.