Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Does anyone ever 'buy' anything before 12 weeks?

2»

Replies

• I didn't buy anything until I was about 22 weeks - I just didn't have the confidence to do anything earlier. I think it is a quite a personal thing. Its not easy running around in the last few weeks of pregnancy trying to finish off though so I wish I had started earlier! Still I'm so rubbish at choosing things that even if I had wanted to it would prob have took me the same amount of time. I did plenty of window shopping though - so I guess that counts really!
  • I did buy a few things before 12 weeks with my first baby, so thought nothing of it when I bought a gorgeous little set at 8 weeks with my second pregnancy. Then at 9 weeks I was rushed into hospital as my Pregnancy was ectopic. This time round Im waiting as I just dont want to tempt fate.

• I bought 2 little baby grows, matching trousers and a little coat after my 9 week scan as a celebration in June, as sadly when I was pg for the first time in december we found out we had lost baby at 12 week scan, I am so glad that we had not bought anything during the first pg, and as a result this had made us alot more cautious about buying anything this time round. MIL bought us a couple of bayb grows and bibs but they are with the things I bought at 9 week scan in bag, and I look at them only occasionally, don't want to tempt fate I guess! I am now nearly 17 weeks, and although I am looking on the internet at prams etc, I am not buying anything until after the 20 week scan. This is not because of finding out the gender, but I want to make sure everything is ok. I know some people have said that problems can occur at any stage and what will be will be, but that is just how I feel. Everyone is different, and I think if you want to buy things early on then that is fine, I do however think that going through a mc or mmc can sometimes knock your confidence with a new pg (it has mine) and as a result some people feel as though they don't want to believe in the pregnancy until they have their baby in their arms.
  • hi

personally i want to wait til my scan on tues 2nd september before buying anything, not because of superstition but just the thought if something is wrong with the baby( ie missed mc) i don't think i wld be able to sit and look at all the stuff we had, wld probably drive me insane! however the inlaws seem to have disagreed with this and have already given us a push chair (a toddler aged one lol) and some baby grows.

my reaosn s for not buying are the same as for not wanting to tell people until after the scan has confirmed everything to be ok, not that i think buying or telling peeps will damage the baby, just don't wann a have to take it all back if something is wrong and tell everyone. but not long to go now only 3 sleeps til scan!!! yay!

xx

11+5
  • I did!!!!

And im still going mad buying every week...

I'm 16+3 now and didnt believe in superstition at all. x

[Modified by: EM1983 on August 30, 2008 04:19 PM]

• hi joo, whilst we were in london, when i was 6 weeks we bought a couple of teddy bears for our pip, and we've got our second private scan on monday when i'll be 10 weeks and if everything's ok we'll start buying then. How far along will you be when you have your scan?? the only reason i ask is that once we've had our scan we're going to start telling people after my second mc i looked at the chance of mc at different weeks once you've seen the baby on scan and i know at 10 weeks the chance of mc after seeing a helathy baby is the same as at 12 weeks so we don't see the point in waiting any longer, it's just that most people don't have a scan earlier then 12 weeks. I think it's entierly you choice, if it feels right start buying things, i feel different with this preg then last two and am sure things are going to be ok but i can't bring myself to buy anything till after monday, but as soon as i get past monday i'lll be like a little shopping devil :lol:
    Sorry for such a long post hun, pregnancy hormones meakr me ramble!!!
  • I don't think it's a "silly superstition" exactly - you can't change an outcome by buying a few clothes - but I do think it would make the blow even worse were the worst to happen. That's why I didn't buy anything until 20 weeks, because it was only then that I felt that I wasn't jumping the gun and getting carried away.

26+3
  • i bought a couple of little things for both of my first two long before 12 weeks, and i would have with this little one as well but i was 11weeks and 3 days when i found out i was pregnant lol x
  • hi im nearly 10 weeks but cos ive been quite poorly i dont want to but anything till much later maybe 20 weeks, i would love to go and buy a few bits but will when it feels right. i think its a def personal preference.
    xxxx
    9 +4days
  • I’m 8weeks and I’m starting to look at prams and things. But I was told
    too that’s it’s bad luck to have any baby things in your home before your 12weeks. I’ve ordered my pram which comes the 28th 30th may which makes me the 13week marks but so tempted to but few bibs and booties x