Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome! Which basically means that my nerves are getting trapped in my wrists leaving me with permenant pins and needles and numbness in hands & fingers.
IT IS DRIVING ME MAD!! had it for about 6 weeks now and the gp said it should go once i've had the baby in another 12 weeks.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so any advice on how to ease it My fingers are also so fat I've had to take my wedding ring off which is really upsetting me!:\?:\?

Replies

• I get cts sometimes from computer work, although I've never had a proper diagnosis ... hope baby doesn't make it worse for me! I totally sympathise with you - its horrid and you sound liek you have a bad case too image

I've found that when its bad, sleeping with tubigrips on my wrists help, and also I use those wrist supports with the metal bits in them to help keep my wrist straight. You should be able to get them on prescription seeing as its free.

My med student friend tells me that when my wrists are bad I should put ice on them (those cool box ice blocks are handy) but not heat as heat makes them swell up worse.

Hope this helps.. oh and what also helped me was learning to use the mouse with either hand on the computer so I could give whichever wrist was worse a rest! Took some doing esp for computer games but now I don't even thinka bout it!
  • Thanks Kia

I'll try those wrist supports. I work on a computer all day too so it does make it worse! I'll try the left hand on the mouse but I dread to think how slow my work will be!!:lol:

I never had this before I was pregnant, but my GP tells me it's quite common in pregnancy!! The joy!
  • Oh the things we put up with for the sake of our little ones eh!

Honestly it didn't take me that long to get used to using the mouse left handed.. I think it was about a week before I was totally comfortable with it..just kept getting left and right click mixed up for a bit!!

Also - try getting one of those mouse mats iwth a built in wrist rest, and wrist rests to go in front of your keyboard..they help too
  • I have had ULD of which carpel tunnel is one for many years now, all the advice kia gave is also what has worked for me. With the built in wrist rest for mouse mat i had a fantastic one from staples (i think) which was a gel one and because it was quite cold it also helped relieve the pain etc. Voltarol gel is fantastic too but we can't use that being pregnant!!

Hope it eases quickly after the birth cos it is horrible, but if it doesn't ease keep nagging your Dr as there is a simple procedure that they can do to alleviate the symptons,
  • My dad had cts really badly years ago and he got injections into each wrist which helped him.. dunno how long they lasted for though.

The other thing that may help as well is to make sure your computer area is set up correctly (mine at work isn't..my bosses are rubbish) with your monitor straight in front of you at eye level, you are sitting straight and your arms are not in any awkward positions.

You could also try if you have um.. i've forgotten the word (baby steals my word).. you know..a mouse with the red light instead of a track ball.. you could try turning your mouse on one side against a flat surface so that you are using it at a different angle to give your wrist some relief. That probably doesn't make much sense but i keep forgetting and muddling up words lately!!
  • Hi Kia, I think the word you are looking for is 'optical' for the mouse. i manage to astound myself by being able to tell you this as most days i forget the most simplest of words that just won't come!!! Yesterday i kept calling my camera a hoover...?!?!??!?!
    So being able to help you out is my achievement for the day!!!!!!
  • thanks for all your advice ladies. I'm using the mouse in my left hand as we speak!!

roll on another 8 weeks and I can finish work!!!!.....:roll:
  • Yay thanks trackieann...that was indeed the word that I couldn't remember...
    So glad I'm not the only one doing this with words!!!

good luck with the left handed mousing! image
  • I think i am starting with carpal tunnel. I work on computer for 12 hours a day 3 days a week and ive been getting numb and pins and needles in both hands. Im only 16.3 weeks can i get it so early?image
  • Hi girls, i have had cts for 3 years but it has got a bit worse as my pregnancy has progressed. I have tried everything from splints to injections and ive been waiting for the operation for 2 years now. I dont think anything is really that effective in the long run and its a condition that only gets worse unless its treated by an operation. Your case might be different as it is pregnancy related and i hope it gets better for you. xxx
  • I think mine is starting to get bad again at 14 weeks, or maybe its just the way I slept.. still.. I guess if I am going to renew my hayfever prescription maybe I can get doc to prescribe me some wrist braces so I can get them free image mine are knackered!
  • Is it a good excuse for time off work. My work are funny about time off but if im starting with this maybe they will stay off my back for a bit. The miserable sods! image