Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breast or bottle???

2»

Replies

• I'm desperate to bf - struggled with my last ds and didn't even try with my first two as I was a teenage mum and was horrified at the thought of getting me baps out!!

I do absolutely believe that bf is excellent for bubs and it does have benefits that bottle feeding doesn't BUT this country has been so far removed from bf for years now that I completely understand the desire to bottle feed instead.

Just one fact for the ladies that may want to at least try it at first - the colostrum is so rich (it's actually called liquid gold by a lot of people) and so full of antibodies etc that it lines the baby's stomach and intestines. This alone helps protect the baby from getting gastroentoritis and tummy bugs.

I'm absolutely not preaching, but just in case anyone was in two minds as to whether trying to bf, it would be worth doing it even for a few days for this reason alone!

Good luck ladies whether you are bottle or bf'ing.

Karenxx
    2 weeks to go til section
  • Everyone has very valid reasons of their own for whatever their "choice". I was told that it is a government initiative to push the issue. This is my 3rd baby and I tried with my 1st - who suffers asthma and hayfever - but it didnt last long as neither of us was comfortable with it so he was bottlefed after 2 wks. My 2nd son was bottlefed from the beginning and doesnt have the health problems my 1st has! There might be a connection, there might not. I just personally want to be free to make my own choice and as already mentioned on here - its best for both mother and child that however fed, both are comfortable and happy!!!

It isnt right that the issue is forced upon mothers and it sounds like, to some degree, bullying my some midwives/health authorities. FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!!
  • Dont worry i wont flame anyone lol!!! I put this on to get peoples opinions so i have to accept them even if they are not the same as mine.

I probably will try breastfeeding im just not sure i want to. I cant pinpoint an exact reason for not wanting to. I think a large part of it is i feel like im being forced into it so im not sure if i want to do it or feel i should. Lesser reasons are i also want my oh to be involved, i want to introduce a routine, i want to know they are getting enough and maybe leave the house sometimes without having to get my breasts out in front of everyone. I know a lot of my friends have bottle fed and my mum and aunties all bottle fed and found it worked well enough for them.

I have to say though that i think its completely stupid that the government bans advertising of baby milk meant for under 6 months!!! Surely formula milk wont do any harm and we all know it exists so why try and pretend it doesnt!
  • Just want to say you won't necessarily be bullied into bf, I bottle fed because my baby wasnt latching on but tbh I felt more comfortable bottle feeding. I asked them if I could have a bottle and the mw just got one no questions asked, no one has been bullying at all xxxx
  • And my main bugbear with the government is that it's all very well to push bf'ing, but where's the support????!!!

All these mw's are enforcing the message but when it comes to it if you run into difficulty there is no support out there unless you've got the time to go find it yourself.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it all goes better for me this time and that it 'happens'.

And I wholeheartedly agree - forcing women into bf'ing is not the way to go. Rather a happy bottle feeding mummy than a miserable bf'ing one!
  • I agree that there doesn't seem to be much information out there - the midwife just tried shoving my nipple into his mouth! I was quite shocked. Thought there was more to it then that. But he wasnt having it anyway and kept crying and coming off. I tried again but he was still whingy and uninterested. I bet half the midwives bottle fed their kids! The hv I saw yesterday asked me why dont I try bf again. She doesnt have any kids and told my oh mum (she was her hv too) that she didnt want any or particularly like them (!!!) And I was thinking Hmmm - so I can restart bf can I - with no milk??? lolxxxx
  • I agree, definately not enough support! Breast feeding can be really hard and if you haven't been warned in advance it can come as a huge shock and leave new mums feeling very crap. I was lucky that my mum successfully fed us and so was on hand for advice, and I also had a great midwife. It must be very hard for people who don't have that support.