Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bloody work!!!!

im so sick of work! its not the fact i dont want to go its the attitude of the management i work in a private nursing home and i have had no back up from them at all i have to clean a 27 bed home with two lounges and communal areas by myself for three days a week i know its only 3 days but its bloody hard work especially pulling a bloody henry hoover round behind me and 25 week bump in front ! Then to top it all last week iwas expected to put a curtain track up that had fallen back up not too bad? but the windows are about 12ft wide and 8ft high! when my friend mentioned to the manager to give me a break was told that if im fit enough to come in then im fit enough to do all aspects of job AARGGHH! im fuming i dont expect special treatment or anything as i do every part of my job and just get on with it but is a bit of common courtesy and common sense too much to ask??? sorry for ranting but i feel better with it off my (v.large lol)chest hope everyone is ok xx

Replies

• It probably isn't any consolation but I can just about get to work and I am sick of work too. My workplace are very helpful and supportive but cover still hasn't been arranged and I told them when I was 12 weeks pregnant (I am now 29 weeks pregnant). Sometimes I am so sick i just can't bear to go to work but according to the legislation if you have time off for a pregnancy related illness then you have to start your maternity leave and I want to spend more time with my children (I am expecting twins) when they are born. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you and things get better.
  • You only have to start your ML if you are off for a week or more. The odd day won't mean you have to leave then xx
  • Thats dreadful! esp the 'if your fit enough to work your fit enough to do all aspect of the job' by law you have to have a risk assesment and any part of your job that puts your pregnancy at risk have to be removed. have a look ahttp://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/workandfamilies/maternity-leave-pay/index.htmlt there are links there to all your rights. After my health and saftey assesment there were loads of things i wasnt allowed to do any more. My M/w says hoovering is dreadful when your pregnant as it puts too much pressure on your ligaments. do you get sick pay? if so i would think about getting signed off if they dont accomodate you, its just not worth the risk. take care let us know how it goes xx
  • hey legriffiths good to speak to another twin mum to be. are yours identical or non-identical? how you finding it. RE legislation if you get signed of sick you only have to go on maternity leave if your sick for the last four weeks of your pregnancy. so up to 36 weeks you can be signed off and your work cant force you to go on maternity leave and your sickness cant be used against you. As your having twins its unlikely you will go further than 37.5 weeks so you will only be using up 1.5 weeks of your maternity leave and as they are due after 1.4.7 you are entittled to 39 weeks of SMP and 52 weeks of have a look at http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/asp/family_zone/fs_pr1_matrights.asp I have had a difficult twin pregnancy and have been signed off for nearly 3 months. I am signed of sick until im 36 weeks and then am going on mat leave but know babes wont be allowed to go any longer than 37.5 weeks. on another subject do you know if your having a c-section or v birth? sorry for long post and to lisa2402 for high jacking your thread i just got excited to find another twin mum (lisa2402 hope the sickness bit and website might help you too) xxxxxx
  • Hey Lisa. I can completely sympathise with you. i had a really bad time with bullying where i work because i was pregnant. in the end i broke down and my mam made me go to the doctors. he signed me off work for 7 weeks with depression. i just cant believe how unsupportive some employers can be. sorry about the rant. I hope you get something sorted out. take care xx

[Modified by: MaraJade on February 24, 2007 03:01 PM]
  • I can't believe they treat you that way. It's against the law! My company has been great so far but I do find the work very tiring. (I'm 27 weeks). I do alot of traveling for work and find the driving very tiring. It probably also bacause I go off in 2 months and I think my body is already preparing for it. I don't feel very motivated at the moment. Good luck, I hope you can sort something out. Remember, your baby's health is very important, so try to take it easy!
  • Lisa2402, i think its terrible that u r expected 2 endanger urself & ur baby. ur employer shud have more sense! i had 2 go on sick leave from my job when i was 6 wks bcos it was too strenuous (Nursery nurse) & they were expecting me to lift the children quite high to change nappies and do things that put pressure on me. my doctor signed me off &my employer has refused 2 pay me & has left me with no money since december 19th. they said i work p/t so i am not entitled 2 statutory sick pay so if u do get signed off remember to check ur ssp status. good luck***
  • thanks its nice to know its not just me who thinks this is unfair ill have to look into the sick pay thing because i only work p/t my midwife said for me to go on the sick but daft as i am i didnt want to let work down but now this has come out i feel like throwing a sick note in managers face never mind :\)
  • Hi LISA
    Sounds to me like unfair treatment or discrimination read the government website about your rights & telephone numbers you can call for advise here's the link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10026556
    LEGRIFFITHS
    I understood that an employer can only make an employee start maternity leave on sickness grounds if the employee had been sickness anytime within the four weeks leading up to maternity leave....right found it, according to the same goverment site if you are off work due to pregnancy four weeks before the babies birth then the employer can make you start your maternity leave then read this page on the gov site http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Workingparents/DG_10039631

I have to say so far my firms been really good, but then we're run by central government so i guess they have to be lol

[Modified by: chanine on February 19, 2007 08:25 PM]
  • Hi again LISA another thing i know a thing from when i had my youngest (10 yrs ago) i worked in a private residential home, they were great until i was due to go back after my maternity leave, i went back in to a completely different job, they had no intention of giving me my old job back, I had a huge row with the boss and walked out. I went to the Citizens advise bureau who advised me (but to be honest I couldnt be bothered with the hassle) that if you are made to feel uncomfortable in your job/ working environment you could leave & it could still be classed as unfair dismismal because you were made to feel so uncomfortable (in your case for yours & your babies safety i would imagine) you had no choice but to leave. As i say this was 10 years ago things may have changed by now i dont know but its worth looking into, explore all avenues. Good luck
  • Hi doublebubble apologies to lisa2402, my twins are supposed to be non-identical because they don't share a placenta but someone from the multiple birth foundation told me that they could still be identical. I am finding it okay a bit painful but everyone has been really supportive. My workplace adopt their own maternity policy and it definatley states that if you are off for a pregnancy related illness in the fourth week before childbirth then you have to start your maternity leave. But I am not in my fourth week before pregnancy so I can take time off for illness if I want to. I am taking three weeks off before my maternity leave starts anyway so I guess it doesn't make a difference. I have negotiated my maternity leave with my employers and I am taking off all of my paid maternity leave under the new regulations in addition to the bank holidays that I missed which I am entitled to (my Step-mum told me about this and not my employer) and three weeks of my annual leave next year (my Step-mum advised me that I would need as much time off as possible). My midwife told me that I am having a C-section because one baby is breech but either way I don't mind I'm going to do what the experts tell me (a vaginal birth is painful but a c-section has a longer recovery time). Good luck!
  • Hey legriffiths. I read that identical twins can have seperate placentas depending on when the egg splits. I think you can get a test to find out if they are identical. Mine are identical and im 35 weeks now. Cant wait to meet them now keep getting scared about the practicalities of twins but i guess you learn quickly. good luck with your pregnancy xx
  • Hi doublebubble I think at the multiple birth society said that it depends on if the babies are sharing sacs. They provide a test. I wanted identical twins at first. Don't worry about the practicalities, you'll pick it up. I can't believe you have gone to 35 weeks I keep thinking any day now! Take care : )

[Modified by: legriffiths on February 27, 2007 05:28 PM]