Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Achy legs (also in Due in Dec)

Hi ladies,

I am 26+2 and since last night, my hips and calf muscles have been really aching. I havent done anything strenuos? Its a real deep ache, not like a pulled muscle,but it almost feels like I have got a chill in them (if you know what I mean?)

They are aching so much image

Anyone else have this? Do you know what it is?

Thanks x

Replies

• hey hun
    ditto. i am due on sunday ekkk and i've just been getting the leg aches. no idea why. think i need to google it! i'll get back to you if i find anything out.
    Rxx
  • just been on google, here's what i found:

Aching Legs
    It's common to experience aching legs during pregnancy and it can be very uncomfortable and unpleasant. In most cases it's caused by sluggish circulation through the veins, which makes your legs ache. The hormones produced when you're pregnant relax the smooth muscle fibres in the wall of your blood vessels. Because of this relaxation, your circulation isn't as good as it normally is.

As well as making your legs ache, it's also the reason why your ankles are more likely to swell, you're more likely to suffer from varicose veins and haemorrhoids (piles). As pregnancy progresses, aching legs are also made worse by the weight of the uterus constricting circulation even more. The problem is particularly bad if you've been immobile, for example sitting or standing for a while
  • Thats great, thanks hun. I googled it too, but couldnt really find anything - thats a great help. I was just worried in case it was a sign of DVT or something. I suppose being pregnant, we all worry constantly about our changing bodies.

Thanks for replying and best of luck for Sunday! xxx
  • Hi Ladies

I can totally sympathise with you. I have suffered with restless leg symdrome since my early teens, but since becoming pregnant it is out of control, esp at night, i have a few tips for you all tho that i have required over the year:
    1. Keep your legs elevated as much as poss, ideally above your heart to allow for better circulation.
    2. When your legs are achy i have found walking along a really cold surface or however you can keep them cold (my mum also swears by this who has suffered with restless legs since being pregnant with me
    3. Bananna's are very good apparently, also cutting out as much caffeine as much a poss, i dnt have any caffeeine at all now and have found it really helps
    4. Magnesium or iron defiency has been known to be a cause of achy, bad circulated, visit a health food shop and speak to them about vitamins

Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to ask!

xx
  • Hi Ladies

I can totally sympathise with you. I have suffered with restless leg symdrome since my early teens, but since becoming pregnant it is out of control, esp at night, i have a few tips for you all tho that i have required over the year:
    1. Keep your legs elevated as much as poss, ideally above your heart to allow for better circulation.
    2. When your legs are achy i have found walking along a really cold surface or however you can keep them cold (my mum also swears by this who has suffered with restless legs since being pregnant with me
    3. Bananna's are very good apparently, also cutting out as much caffeine as much a poss, i dnt have any caffeeine at all now and have found it really helps
    4. Magnesium or iron defiency has been known to be a cause of achy, bad circulated, visit a health food shop and speak to them about vitamins

Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to ask!

xx