Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What do you need for breast feeding (apart from boobies!)?

Hi Ladies,

I've seen some good deals on sterilizer kits such as the Tommee Tippee one (??59.99 in Babies are us) and wondered if you are planning on breast feeding would you need this type of kit?

I know you would probably need things to express and bottle milk, but just wanted some advice from those of you that have a little more knowledge and experiance on this than I do! image

xx

Replies

• Options
    It really depends on how much you plan to express and bottlefeed with the EBM. Will you be returning to work?

You don't actually need to sterilise your pumping equipment as long as it is well washed in hot soapy water (and many components of some pumps can't be microwaved etc), so you only need to factor in the number of bottles you will be using. If you plan to exclusively breastfeed and not do much in the way of expressed feeds, I really wouldn't waste your money on a fancy steriliser - you don't need it. Just get a simple one that will go in your microwave, or even some of the microwavable steriliser bags, that's my plan!

I would also steer clear of any 'kit' that includes a lot of the same type of bottle. Breastfed babies can be VERY fussy about the type of bottle/teat they will accept, and it's best not to get loads of the same type as if they spit it out and grimace then you've wasted your money. Far better to get one bottle/teat and try it before committing to a pile of them.
  • Options
    I bought the Tommee Tippee electronic steam steriliser when I was expecting my son and in all honesty never used it! I intended to breastfeed but express occasionally, which is what I did, but there was a samll microwave steriliser box with my breast pump (tommee tippee manual) which could do two bottles at a time, and I found this plenty, as I;d only generally need to sterilise one bottle at a time - plus it took up a lot less space in my tiny kitchen. If I were you I'd wait and see whether you really think you'll use it once baby is here -(they;re quite often on offer in Tesco, and Asda is due a Baby event in Jan I think).

Essentials for me were breast pads (I liked Boots own), nursing and sleep bras (sleep bras much more comfy for sleeping in than normal bras), lansinoh nipple cream (use it as soon as baby is born for a bit of protection, don't wait to get sore!), muslins and milk storage bags for the freezer (I used Boots own but think Tesco do their own now) - I also found a nursing pillow very useful, thought I'd manage with a normal pillow but sent my mum out on day 3 to get me a V shaped one - but I have tiny boobs and did really need baby raising up quite a bit to reach! Don't get the mothercare one if you have small boobs though, I found it too flat.
  • Options
    just thought i would add mothercare have tomme tippee on offer at the mo, x
  • Options
    i found the avent microwave sterliser great as it only take 4 minutes so i have 3 bottles wich is plenty as we only use a bottle once or twice a week. I would say though f your buying extra bottles get the larger sizes as the 4/5oz ones only last a few months and your baby wont mind if it has a half full big bottle or full little one, plus most sterilisers come with at least one small one and really i wouldn't bother gettingmore than that.
  • Options
    Hello, in all honesty it depends on your plans for expressing _ i had a lovely Avent Microwave steriliser (??20) which fitted in the Avent manual pump and 4 bottles, storage caps etc. and that was perfect for my needs.

I bf excl for the first year, and occasionally expressed (for hubby to do a feed, babysitting etc). I admit I did not express that often - I didn't really get on with it - it seemed a lot of faff for something I could just do naturally from the boob!

Other than that, all you need is some muslins, nursing bras and breast pads. And someone to bring you a nice big glass of water while your bfing!!! It can bring on a thirst lol!

Good luck!

Mx

• Options
    I got an electric breast pump when my son was a day old because he wasnt feeding too well and i was really engorged. I also used it loads over the first few days as i found my baby wouldnt latch on well on one side so until i got the hang of it i fed him only on one side and expressed the other side.

Once we were sorted i had bottles and steriliser as i used to feed then express first thing in the morning as having a toddler as well it was easier to feed in a bottle mid morning as we were usually out somewhere.

Its all really trial and error. I would get less as if you need something you can always get someone to pick it up for you

Gemm x
    35+4
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, your replies have been really useful. I plan on having a year off work so bf won't be a problem in that time.

I think I'll take your advice and just buy a few things to begin with to see how I get on.

Thanks again!

xx
  • Options
    I would say hold off buying anything very expensive i.e. a pump until you have established feeding.. it doesnt always work out for everyone and its not something you can take back if you use onceimage x