Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hidden twin or not?

ok been for my first scan at 15 weeks and was told just one baby tho me and my husband both seen on screen what looked liked part of another separate sack but then lady quickly moved away and said was just one baby.ive had symptoms of what could be a twin pregnancy tho hard to tell between what's twin and single.  But looking at my scan picture a see what could be a hidden twin?!. So wanted to share my picture and see what you ladys think.. Is it me going mad? Could or is it a hidden twin? Any feedback would be appreciated x

Replies

• Its important to remember that sonographers are highly trained and experienced - it would be very unlikely they'd miss a twin pregnancy. Given that twins aren't unusual, they wouldn't easily miss anything in my opinion. 

You say you've had symptoms of a twin pregnancy but, at this stage, the symptoms would be the same. Once twins are bigger there is less room and this would cause differences with a single pregnancy, but at the stage you are at there are no different symptoms. 

I suppose if you are very concerned you could get a private scan for a 2nd opinion, but your scan looks a lot like mine at that stage - and I am most certainly only carrying 1! 

• Thanks for your reply..yeah have managed to book a private scan for next week so hopefully get some clarification and set my mind at rest :) 

• Ok so little update was at midwifes yesterday and baby heartbeat was 154.. Also picked another heartbeat further up of 136.. Couldn't have been mine as mines was 77.. Also I've had movement and small taps across top of tummy!  Thankfully I managed to book a private scan for today..so hoping I get the answers I need.wish me luck lol x

• I can't see a second baby on your scan pic but that's not to say there isn't.  Is there twins in the family? 

When midwife listens for heartbeat there is 3 things to be heard, your heartbeat, placenta/cord and baby heartbeat. The placenta is lesser than baby heartbeat but can still be heard in a similar way as blood is pumping from you to baby.

Your aorta is also in that region high could be picked up and would be higher than your heartbeat.

Good luck a private scan. 

Natalie x

• How did the private scan go? 

• Hi

so we paid for a private scan as there is a history of twins on my side, maternal.

the sonography (not medically trained) said definitely one but on our scan pics there is something to left. 

Bottom pic on far right hand side appears to be closest... 

pleas can someone one look and tell me there thoughts. 12w nhs scan on Friday, I'm pretty big for 11 w

this scan measured 7w1, we thought I was 6w4, I've been big from about 5 weeks and am obviously showing at 11w1

tHanks!image

• Sorry to the right.

• I can definatly only see one baby on the scan.

The area you have zoomed into is infact the babys body. i think your confusing the "2 sacks" to the head and the body. 

x