Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food!

Is anyone else as confused as me over what you can and can't eat?! It seems that everything on the "avoid" list from my midwife is everything I fancy eating!! My one craving is prawn cocktail and I've heard totally conflicting things here. Some people say to avoid shellfish all together, some say it's ok if it's been frozen first (whihc seems odd), others say it's ok if it's served piping hot (which sort of makes sense) and others say it's ok as long as it's not raw!! How confusing! Anyone else feel this way? x Feebs

Replies

• The issue with prawn and other shellfish is they carry a higher chance of food poisoning, so therefore we pregnant ladies are told to avoid them, but if they are cooked piping hot then that wont be an issue. If you really don't want to avoid them then maybe cooking them yourself would be the best bet, I really wouldn't trust them from a takeaway or anything, and I used to manage a food shop and would be in two minds about buying ready to eat ones. The issue with other fish is the mercury levels in them so things like tuna shouldn't be eaten too often. It can be very confusing I agree, it doesn't helo that proffesionals contridict each other as well. If a food is cooked properly, and stored properly then the chances of food poisoning are minimal.