Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Measuring big for dates..What does this mean?

Hi I went for my 28 week antenatal on Thursday and when I was measured I was measuring 30 weeks. She had a visitor observing and she turned to him and said that they don't really worry if it's only 2 cm (1cm = 1 week) but she didn't say anything to me and at the time didn't really register with me it's was only when I got out of the surgery and was driving up the road that I started to think about it. What does this mean? I'm I now due in Oct? Will it correct itself and I'll be back on track next time? Do I need to take this into consideration when I give my leaving date into work? I mean I was planning on being there until 37 weeks but if I continue to measure bigger will that mean I'll actually be 39 weeks? OMG I probably overreacting and when I go for 31 weeks check I'll be back on target if anyones knows the answers to my questions please put me out of my misery... Lisa (28+1 weeks or 30+1 weeks) :\?

Replies

• no it doesnt mean your two weeks further gone...i think its just ur measuring bigger then what u r...weather this means your bump is measuring 2 weeks bigger or baby is im not totally sure...some people can measure alot bigger so dont worry, its nothing to worry bout...
  • Thanks for you replys I'm just kicking myself I didn't query it while I was there. why when she says do you have any questions do I go no and then worry about it.
  • im exactly the same!!
  • Don't worry, my babys measuring bigger too but my due date hasn't changed xxx
  • last time we went to the midwife I was right at the top of the scale on the growth chart - so I asked if I was due for a big baby.

She says that they dont really mean a huge amount to her and it's all down to your anatomy and the way you are carrying. Some people are tiny have what seems to be a huge bump but no bigger baby than normal whilst others who have a larger build and a small bump may have a huge baby.
    It generally settles as the weeks go by....

I'm back on tuesday and I'll see where I am on the measurements after that
  • Hi sorry to gatecrash your forum but can't help a sneaky look now and again!!
    I have a 5 month babe and measured big for dates from about 25 weeks as I had too much fluid around him. I ended up ENORMOUS and put on 3.5 stone by the end but he was only 7lb so it is not necessarily an indication of a big baby.
    Lots of ladies are either a bit big or a bit small when there's nothing to worry about. Good Luck x
  • my baby is meausing bigger too nearly 3 weeks got a growth scan tomo plus mw thinks its breach they say 1 to 2 cm bigger or smaller is fine over that they check but my dates have never changed maybe its just going to be a big boy like his dadddy lol x
  • Blimey coolteacher44! I would defo push for another scan I can't believe you haven't been offered a growth scan some women measuring 3cm over have and you on atleast 6 or 7cm over. Well that actual quashes my fear of going into labur two weeks earlier because I was measuring two weeks bigger if that was the case you would have delivered weeks ago. Did they mention induction today?
  • I have been for mw appointment today and she measured my fundal height as 32 but I am only 28 so have been referred for a growth scan. Have measure ahead all the way through and have always thought they got my dates wrong on my dating scan. Not really sure what happens next, does anyone know? Can they change my due date?
  • I was 31 weeks last week, my OB said my Baby was pritty large and that I measured 34 weeks. Ia m also wondering as to wheather I should reschedule my leave plans since my GYN said, Baby could come much earlier than planned/estimated. I am meant to be due in mid March, this is still Jan 2013. Any advise out there momz?

• Hi. I was measuring a few weeks ahead all through and had a growth scan at 36 weeks to check size, they estinated a 10lb bubba.image.  I was worried as I was a large baby and my sister had a 10lb baby girl. Anyhow despite being 2 weeks overdue, baby was only 8lbs. So dont go too much on measurements.

• hi...im 31wks preg but measuring 5wks ahead at 36 wks and hav done for my last two appts consult and mw, i do hav a growth scan booked but its not for another 4 wks yet 21/02/13...should i try and bring forward? i carried alit of water last time and was induced at 38wks due to bp and odema but birth normal and she only weighed 7lb9.....no swelling or high bp as yet just pelvic pressure this time round...im just a bit apprehensive at measuring so far ahead as i didnt have this first time round?? i been tested for glucose etc as i was carrying weight before i fell preg but everything else is ok......