Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Young pregnant and in a new relationship

Hello, I'm 20 and just found out this morning that I'm pregnant I have no idea how I feel. Iv been with my boyfriend for about 2 1/2 months, things are amazing and I genuinely love him. I need some advise/story's. There is too much to think about, he is 26 and wants to keep it but is increadably supportive,  I'm on the fence slightly leaning toward abortion but I don't think I could live with myself if I did. I want to go and travel do camp Thailand and America (I'm in Scotland, U.K.) all I really want to know is will I regret not doing these things? I would love a baba but is it the right choice :/:( thanks for reading 

Replies

• Hi,

Firstly, take your time in making a decision. Do not let anyone push you into hurrying up. 

I have had an abortion and looking back I now regret the decision, at the time I was 100 pc sure that was the right decision. I was the only one bringing in an income and I had a one bed flat, the idea of a baby just didn't fit it and I think we both just panicked. The support and education I had at the Clinic was appalling and none prepared me for how physically and mentally straining the procedure would be. 

Now five years later I am trying terribly to conceive and suffered a miscarriage at the beginning of the year.  I am a better place now for a child, but my body is playing hard ball. 

although my circumstances would not have been ideal the first time, i whish i had taken more time to think about it. I always knew I wanted children with my partner and think I had just got scared. I know that even if I did end up Single I would have found a way, hard or not. 

That said having an abortion is your right and I feel there is not enough support for people who do decide to go down this route. Do feel free to PM me if you wanna chat x 

• Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have had a long weekend away with my partner and we have spoke a lot. I have a very supportive family that is worried for me aswell though. I am now leaning towards having the wee one but still very unsure, it's to hard a decision to make and now thinking I wouldn't live with myself after having an abortion.

• My friend had an abortion, and she still gets upset about it now. Her hold would be 7 this year and although she has a new 5 month old, she always says she feels as though this beautiful girl isn't her first and she always thinks, you'd have an older brother or sister by now. I don't agree with 'having a baby will stop my plans' 

A baby will only push them further back. If you want it enough you will get to those dreams, regardless of children, you'll just get to them at a later date. Or you just fit your baby into your plans. Take them with you.

However, if you really feel you're not ready, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Make sure you and your partner both get concerns and thoughts out in the open, cos any decision you make will affect you both in a big way. Especially you. Physically and emotionally and mentally. If you have a good support unit, they will support you whichever way you go!

Good luck in whichever path you take!