Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

20 week scans - glasgow/lanarkshire area?

Hi girls,

I found out yesterday that my local healthboard (Lanarkshire) in Scotland doesnt offer pregnant ladies a 20 week anomoly scan! Apparently there are 4 healthboards in Scotland who go against the recommendations and dont offer this scan. So i will get my dating scan next week when i am 13 weeks then will not see my baby again until it pops out!

I was just wondering if any of you lived the Lanarkshire/Glasgow area and had heard any differently?

Also, do any of you know where to go for a private scan? I have looked at babybond but i just wondered if there were any other options.

Thanks
Lx
12 weeks today image

Replies

• Hi, I have had the same problem, i only got a scan at 12 weeks and im now 25 weeks and havnt seen my baby again,i now feel ive left it too late to go private as i dont want to know the sex but im scared ill see its wee bits now!!its soo unfair we dont get one!

Jstar x
  • Hi Jstar,

I have heard of some people on here who have been for later 'bonding' scans without finding out the sex, I think if you ask the operator they will be careful not to reveal anything! image

thistle 32+5

• I'm in Glasgow and no second scan for me either! You can get a private scan without finding out the sex. We don't want to know the sex and the place in ingram street offers a 4d scan for ??120. We are still thinking about it.
  • Hi Ladybird, I stay in Hamilton and only got my 13 week scan and was absolutely appalled that I wouldn't get another one at all. I had booked an nt scan with babybond in Livingston as Glasgow don't do the nt ones and it was so much better than the NHS one, was so clear and you could really see loads, so glad we did it now. I was going to book another scan with babybond for when I was 20 weeks as I wanted to make sure everything was all right, but I had a slight bleed at 18+4 and phoned Wishaw General who took me up and listented to hb and booked me in for another scan so ended up getting one anyway.

There' no chance you will get another scan at 20 weeks as they just don't agree with it, which is ridiculous! I'd definitely book one for babybond as it's well worth the money.

Are you having baby at Wishaw? I have heard a lot of bad things about them but I have been in and out (on a drip for sickness, bleed, high blood pressure and now diabetes) and have found them to be nothing but helpful so wouldn't choose to go anywhere else.

C xx
    29+4
  • Thanks girls, I just can't believe that we don't get offered the 2nd scan.

babyblue - yes i'm going to wishaw, went a few weeks ago for sickness and was there for most of the day - luckily i didnt need a drip. I also found the midwives so helpful and very nice. It is a fairly new hospital as well so everything is modern and it looks fairly comfortable. I live close to wishaw general and even if it wasnt as close i dont think i would choose to go anywhere else. you will need to let me know how you get on when you have your baby :\)

Lx
  • Hiya

Theres a private baby scan clinic in Motherwell now, there was a giant baby wandering about Airdrie yesterday giving out scratch cards and i won 50% off a 4D scan, once i get to 24 weeks I will be booking in, hubbys over the moon that he has saved £95, doesnt realise that I will be spending it on new shoes! the web address is www.abc4d.co.uk and its the only one i can find in North Lanarkshire

• Took my wife to ABC4D for a 4D scan and seeing my son for the first time blew me away!

It is also the first time that we have been for a scan and I have felt involved.The staff were fantastic with us both,well done 10 out of 10!!!! image By the way does anyone know where I can get one of these scratch cards that I keep hearing about? Cheers

• There was a Groupon last week for 3D and 4D scans in Glasgow. It made the price ??95. I'm in Ayrshire and can't believe you don't get scanned at 20 weeks in the next area! I know a lot if people use it to find out the sex of their baby but it's to check everything is developing ok. Not sure how they can justify it!

Hope everyone is keeping well and developing healthy happy bairns! X