Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breast feeding = quicker weight loss - fact or myth?

Hi all,
just wondered if anyone could share their experiences with weight loss after giving birth and breast feeding.

Is it simply a myth that you loose the weight or get back to your 'before' size quicker if you breast feed?

Many thanks

Replies

• I did when i had my son, i lost 3 + 1/2 stone in a matter of weeks, not sure if that was coz my eating habits got better after his birth as i put 4 stone on first time, lol. I know that it makes your uterus contract so it gets back to its pre pregnancy size quicker. There are mixed opinions on this though, some midwifes say its not till after you stop breast feeding that the weight comes off, but i would disagree and believe it helps to lose weight while you are breast feeding as you use more calories up making milk for your baby.
  • hi i breast fed my daughter and lost loads of weight really quickley it was fantastic will defo be breast feeding again this time also if you tense your mucles in your tummy whilst feeding it helps it get back into shape
  • Thanks!..
    I really want to breast feed but have heard so many difficult stories about it...

Can you tell me how you got on and how long it took to get into a routine. Im petrified I wont succeed...

What do I need to get to prepare myself?.. (as this is our first baby)
    Do I need a special bottle and pump so I can express?.. does this work?...

Any info would be good...
    Thanks
  • hi pregnant lady, my son is now 12 weeks old and i have breastfed, i lost my pregnancy weight within a couple of weeks which was great ,as for routine i was told that breastfed babies don't sleep through for months but my lo has from about 8 weeks on average 11 hours a night but every baby is different of course !! As for bottles i've just got normal avent bottles and the avent isis manual pump which i find perfect.hope this a help image
  • Hi samuel1

Your advice is fantastic, thanks.

So you can use normal feeding bottles for expressed milk?.. thats really handy to know... I looked at some today and there is just too much to choose from?.. i have absolutely no idea...
    They do a special bottle thats supposed to be easier with combining breast feeding but if normal bottles work.. ill do that then...

I really do appreciate your advice and your probably the first person who's told me its worked well for you and easy to grasp...

I take it you picked it up really easy then!
    hope I do!.. xx

Thanks for everything.
  • just thought i would add a small note of caution. yes i lost all my baby weight when i fed my son but when he stopped feeding at 11 months i never stopped eating ,when you are feeding you need to eat and drink a bit more to produce good milk ! so be careful when stopping and reduce your portion size back to normal. will be feeding again this time and i won't be falling in that trap this time.
  • Thanks for that bit of advise highlandfea, never thought of that but will try and remember when i stop feeding.
  • Sorry to disappoint but no,no,no I never lost weight via breastfeeding and my boobs remained large even after stopping. I am not a fat person, 5ft and petite in fact and i never overate or ate the wrong shit either - it was only once breastfeeding had stopped and I dieted and exercised that returned me to my almost pre-pregnancy weight.
  • hi i recomend you get some of the pampers dry night sheets i know they are for toilet training but fantastic for when you first start feeding and your boobs leak lol also lots of breast pads!i used the avent hand pump found it very good have got the same one again this time also some good feeding bras x
  • i personally didn't lose too much weight. but i did trim down. you can definatly feel your uterus pulling back though when breast feeding which is good as it helps to control your bleeding.
    those pampers night sheets are great and also used a towel under me.xx
  • I lost loads of weight with my first two. breastfed for three months and was smaller after that than before. This time round though I am a stone hevier to begin with and a little older! (i'm still only 29) I want to breastfeed to lose the weight and that stone I put on giving up smoking three years ago. I think it also help as you are doing something all the time and dont get time to pig out!
  • you deffo loose weight quicker if you breastfeed but dont forget that you need to eat a good diet and not starve yourself if your feeding
  • Hi i lost weight really quickley with breastfeeding. It burns up to 500 calories a day but you got to remember to eat a good diet! At my 6 week check i was 4lb under my start weight before i got pregnant! Give it a try i think its amazing!!