Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

8 weeks pregnant, struggling...

I am 18 years old, this is my first pregnancy and me and my partner have been together for almost 6 months. He is in the army and currently living over 600 miles away, we usually see each other twice a month. So it is imaginable that my anxiety levels are high. Currently living with my mother, me and my partner are hoping to move in together before Christmas.

I took two clear blue tests. The first said 2-3 weeks, then the second, a few days later said 3+ weeks. I have been judging my weeks based on this, and my last period. I have called the doctors and have an appointment with a midwife on Wed 27th September.

The distance is affecting the two of us, with his job its difficult to talk very much but we seem to be keeping strong. My emotions are very on the surface and I'm worried for the baby, does anybody have any tips on how to stay calm and not over stress?

Also, there are very few moments where my stomach is ever settled in the day. I don't seem to have any cravings nor much of an appetite but I must eat at least 3 meals or I get very shaky, dizzy and sometimes vomit. Does anybody have tips on how to settle my stomach?

Replies

• Hi there Frankie, 

i know what you are going through hun... i met my husband in England but he is in the US Air Force which has meant for us to be together I had to leave my family in england (we lived in Germany and America and now live in Japan). He is also away a lot like your partner and while it can be difficult... you do find ways to cope. When I was pregnant with our son he was away a huge amount... missed every scan except our 6 week one (which wasn't much to see! Lol!). I honestly think that it will help once you move in with him (I'm assuming you are planning on living on base with him?).... advantage of that is that there is a huge amount of support available when you are around the service / other spouses who are going through the same thing as you... it really does feel like the spouse network becomes your surrogate family & you will im sure make some great friends like I have who will get you through all the times that the guys are away. 

Emotions being all over the place is perfectly normal right now.., all the extra hormones racing around your body make sure of that! Just remember to not bottle things up.,, talk to your partner or your mum or if you can, another military wife / girlfriend. Get your husband to give your info to the key spouse for his squadron if he hasn't already done that... even though you are not married you are clearly a big part of his life and I'm sure they will be willing to take you under their wing (I know in all the squadrons we have been in, fiances are included if they want to be). 

tips for settling your stomach... nibble on little snacks often... like crackers or biscuits if you start to feel queezy.... drops in blood sugar will make you feel worse so keep eating a little bit regularly. Also ginger biscuits are good and ginger tea. 

Congratulations and good luck for your pregnancy!