Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Biting my tongue

Does anyone else get really annoyed with people's comments? At least twice a day someone or other in work says either Im massive or not very big for how far I am. Numerous people have asked me questions like are you pleased? were you trying? etc. I love my friends and family and they can ask me what they like but some of these people have never even spoken to me before!! I have taken to just walking away if someone I dont know asks me something I think is really nosey. I also get upset when people say that I am really big, i feel like they are having a go at me for putting on weight, and feel like shouting I am over 6 months pregnant you know!! It may be because its a bit of a novelty as I only found out 6 weeks ago and didnt really have a bump then, it sprouted over night! The thing is even now I have only put on 9lbs from my mormal weight and I dont think that is excessive, although I am short. I am normally placid but these people drive me insane. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Replies

• Hi there your not alone, but im sorry to say you'll get it all the way through and it gets worse, like when strangers start touching your bump.
    Im 17 weeks pregnant with my third baby and i look like im about 30 weeks, everyone at work says wow arnt you big when did you say your due i feel like saying er well i have got another human being growing inside me. I blam the hormones. Just keep smiling and think happy thoughts about the moment your going to meet your baby.x
  • im exactly the same hun. i have put a stone and half on but i still dont look that big!! i feel like cryin im fed up with the same repetative questions being asked and by people who arent even close. i just girt my teeth and answer as shortly as i can!! hope things get better x
  • I am totally sick to death with people saying how huge I am and asking whether I'm carrying twins (I'm virtually 40 weeks now). My bump is totally out front and is almost pointed, but the rest of me is the same pre-preg. When I'm out shopping I get stared at. Not just a flick of the eyes, but chin hitting floor and gawping. It makes me so angry as it's so RUDE. Would they stare the same way at someone with a disfigurement?? Sadly probably, they have no manners whatsoever. x
  • I have been close to shouting at people when they ask how far gone i am then they reply, your very small is the baby ok, it is so rude... i dont think they realise that there comments do up set us and sometimes make us worry....
  • I'm in the same boat. This is my first pregnancy and I'm getting sick and tired of people telling me how I should feel and when things should be happening with the baby. All I get is have you felt it move, are you feeling this, have you had this experience. It's so annoying! You want to scream at them that every pregnancy is different and not everyone's is the same. I even had two work colleagues come up to me yesterday and just started patting my bump! I couldn't believe it. Friends and family fair enough, but not people you work with. It's almost as if they feel they have a right to do it.
  • i work in a shop in a village, so everyone that comes in asks 'are you expecting?' - i'm 35 weeks!!! I feel like saying 'no. I'm just fat' to p*** them off, the worst ones are the random people who tell you you're having a boy/girl - I'm still saying its a munky and if they ask what I'd prefer I still say a puppy image with regards to daisy's comment about twins - when I was 20-odd weeks a random stranger shouted (yes shouted) that I'm having triplets because they thought I was so big...GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! just where do they think they get the right!
  • I think I give off a "don't even dare touch" aura because I never had anyone touch my bump.! lol :\) although I did get the comments when I was pregnant with my first (he's 13 months now). If I had one on me if people asked was I pregnant I'd say "no I'm fat, thanks." It was much more enjoyable watching people squirm, wishing they'd never asked! heehee

It doesn't stop though when you've had the baby because you just get strangers giving you 'helpful' (not) advice. I once had a women say to me when daniel was crying "aww he's looks like he's starving, why don't you give him some milk?" I really had one on me because I just said "tell you what why don't you keep your nose out" I wouldn't mind but he was crying because he couldn't get his wind up because I'd just fed him!!!!!! ahhhhhh!!!!!

I say stop being nice to these people and be as blunt to them as they are to us!! lol :\)

• sometimes have to bite my tongue in half! surprised i have one left. not today though, it's as sharp as Gordon Ramsey's knives and twice as lethal - watch out!!
  • Haha, you have all cheered me up, I thought I was the only one, going slowly insane! Thanks x