Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can anyone please help me word it.

Hi ladies.
Looking for a little advice on how to write out my resignation.
I have decided that I shall not be returning to work when I have had the baby, but have no idea how to word a letter to my employer?
I would like to get it written out and sent into my employer by the end of next month so need to get cracking.
If anyone is any good out there at writing letters I would be very grateful for a little guidance.
Also would I have to go into my work place after I have sent the letter in or could it all be done via letter as I really dont like my boss and would really not be comfortable confronting her.

Many thanks in advance ladies xx

Replies

• Hi there

Don't worry - you don't need to make it complicated or give lots of explanation. Just keep it simple and factual - it's just a formal written letter that they will require for their HR files.

I'd go with:

Dear ....

I am writing to inform you of my resignation from ...... effecitve from (whatever date) .

Please take this letter as confirmation of my intention not to return to work following my maternity leave.

Feel free to say something more personal like "i'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for...." if you want to but you don't need to and it won't make any difference.

As for whether you'd need to go in, I can't imagine why unless you're leaving important work behing which needs your personal attention? Should be all done in writing I'd guess.

Just remember that no-one likes to resign and no boss likes to get a resignation but it's not personal - you'll be relieved once you've done it!

Good luck

C x

• Thank you Christine xx
  • Christine's letter is spot on hun, I wrote something very similar when I resigned from my job.

I hope they are good with you. Some bosses aren't wen they get a letter of resignation. But like Christine says, its not personal.

Good luck hun. xx
  • Hiya,

Letter sounds great but do make sure you include the part about 'not returning to work when my maternity leave expires' A friend and I both handed in our letters of resignation, same job, same company and at the same time but they were worded slightly differently. I'd used the end of mat leave phrase, she'd put with immediate effect and I ended up getting paid quite a bit more for untaken leave than she did as my notice period was effectively longer. Might not make any difference but if it does the money's better in your pocket than theirs!
  • I don't think you have to make the decision not to return before you take your maternity leave. Might be wrong there but if you sent it in after your maternity leave started you wouldn't have to see your boss xx
  • hi good luck with your resignation...

just a thought though... If I were you i would resign after your SMP runs out!? XX
  • Thank you ladies you have all been such a big help! x