Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Who's going to use a dummy?

2»

Replies

• p.s what does the reserch say on cot death and dummies? x
  • It says that if you settle your baby to sleep with a dummy, both day and night it can reduce the risk of cot death. It really surprised me when I read that- have heard all the stuff about feet to foot and not overheating and so on, but not the dummy thing. But it is on the FSID website so I assume they have checked the research thoroughly!

www.fsid.org.uk/test-correct-picture.html
  • I've bought a couple but am keeping an open mind about whether or not I'll use them. I'm going to breastfeed, so obviously need to get that established first before introducing a dummy. I didn't give my daughter one 14 yrs ago (my mum is really anti them, & for once I listened to her - don't know why!!!!) & with hindsight that may have been a bad choice, as she was quite an unsettled baby & I might have had a slightly easier time if she'd had a dummy.
    As with a lot of things, I guess you have to wait & see what your baby's preferences are.
  • Like most people seem to be saying, I'm open to using a dummy but depending on lo I would love to not use one.
    I agree it's easier to break the dependancy of a dummy rather than a thumb, you can always take the dummy away.

But my friend had an awful experience with her wee boy and his dummy. At 18mths he used it at night to sleep. Once when he had a cold and his poor wee nose was awfully bunged up he tried breathing through his mouth, with dummy in. 1st my friend knew was hearing this awful chocking noise on baby monitor and she ahnd OH rushed through to nursery. Her OH had to put his fingers quite far into baby's mouth to scoop out the dummy. It was really frightening. She never used the dummy again. But at nearly 3 the boy still goes up to babies and tries to take their dummy's. I think it's because his dummy was taken away so abrubtly in the middle of the night.
    Anyway, I'm open to the idea. Just wait and see what lo is like. S x
  • I used one with my first and I couldnt have done without it! She was born with a major heart defect and had to have 3 sets of open heart surgery in 3 years, and its the hardest thing in the world to try and keep a screaming baby still for a blood test, or having blood pressure or oxygen levels checked and the dummy did just that, especially when she was 1 and she kind of knew what was going on but didnt know enough to understand it wouldnt hurt and they cant get an accurate oxygen level or blood pressure or even temperature reading if the baby is screaming bloody murder! But the dummy kept her calm and made tests that could of been awful easier to deal with, she left it out for the dummy fairies on her 3rd birthday and it was fine, not even one sleepless night! Before that she only had it at night. But things look good so far with this baby but I'm open to using a dummy, babies get worked up really easily, even being over tired can send them into a frenzy and make it impossible for them to be calm enough to sleep but the dummy helps with that. However if we do use on this time I'd like to get rid of it a bit earlier.
    xxx
  • I think dummies are magic and i would have in the past gladly paid ??50.00 for one! I was quite anti-dummies until Erin was born and we were faced with the realitly of an unsettled baby... once we gave her the dummy we have never looked back.. she has slept through the night from 6 weeks and was she could put it back in herself it was even better. She's 8 mnths old now and still has it, (not so much during the daybut she wont go to sleep without it) I will defo use a dummy with this baby too once he's born should he need it...
    I would just say to everyone to keep an open mind, as every baby is diff and your baby may hav diff ideas to you! LOL!
    Katie. x
  • Hi there I will be using a dunny if lo wants one. like some on my scan pics he/she was already sucking their thumb so might not have a choice in the matter! Again won't be introducing one till breastfeeding is established and then I will try and only use it at night but will be keeping an open mind to be honest. My sisters little boy has a dummy and she has been telling him for weeks now that when Auntie Tammis baby arrives he has to post them to me or the baby will cry all the time, lol, if this donsn't work then they are going to Santa at Xmas!
    Tammi xxx
    30.6 weeks
  • Without a doubt i am going to try a dummy. They can be taken away and thumbs cant!! I dont think they should have them at when they are older but that is up to the parent to take them from the child. I dont understand why there is a stigma attached to it? As far as im concerned anything that helps a screaming baby sleep when you have been awake for hours has got to be worth it.
  • Hi everyone hope your all well. I will def get some in and if i need to use them then i will . My first son point blankly didn't want a dummy and was happy and content without one and nothing about the evidence with cot death was about then (2003) so didnt really think about him not having one. My second son was completely different he had his right from birth pretty much and if i hadn't made the effort to get him off it he prob would still have it now. He was three in feb and only had it at night then now he's started nursery we decided he should stop all together and he is ok now doesn't ask for it any more. I think where a dummy is concerned you look for the signs with your baby, but its always handy to have some in !!!! What shape do you buy ? There are so many on the market now my son only liked cherry teats but hardy see those now a friend only uses the mauw ones(sorry about spelling!) says their the best for teeth so do we just buy one to try and if baby doesn't like it try another ? Anyway rambled on abit there ! Everyone take care x
  • My sil uses a 'taggy blanket' so I have got one of those already. My nieces both had one and the youngest takes it to bed at night and rubs it on her nose to help her sleep then she cuddles it all night! She's 2 years old. I'm glad other people feel similar about a dummy!
    xx
  • my lo is 10 1/2 months now and has a dummy.

i was adamant he was never going to have one, but I was bf and in the firstr week he spent hours suckling for comfort not food , so in went the dummy to let my nipples get some rest!

now he only really has it for nap times, bed time and for when he's really really cranky. He's happy enough without it, and usually spits it out after half an hour asleep, altho i leave it there for him so if he wakes up he can get it and soothe himself back to sleep (and i can get a decent nights sleep too!)

dummies dont make their teeth go wonky, or sticky out if they are used in the right way (ie to settle them down) and the orthodontic ones are designed to stop this hapening.

I'm glad i gave ollie a dummy - its a lot easier to take away than his thumb.

xxx
  • Im in!!

No point in beating yourself up about this one all bout trial and error. Used a dummy with my first then through it in the bin when she was bout 9 months, my thery was if I havnt got one I cant give her one! she was fine about it (thank god) but I will be doing the same with this one. I do think past the age of about 1years is a bit old for dummys as it can effect the teeth. If a dummy gives you a hours piece then i say bring on the dummys xx
  • When i was pregnant, i was a 'def no dummy, they are horrid unhygenic etc' However after a all night scream i resorted to a free one that i had been given and immediatly their was peace. I have been really strict, he only has it when he is having a nap, i leave 5 in his cot and then when he wakes up at night their is always one to hand and havent had any problems with sleep. gonna see if this new one wants one and play by ear xxDBxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev228pf___.png