Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

The naming question!

13»

Replies

• I'm a secondary school teacher and I hate to say it but the really stupid names - or badly spelt names - usually appear in kids that are in the bottom sets.... make of that what you will!!
  • I dont really think that kids are bottom coz of their names! I personally would like my child to grow up an individual and would rather they didnt get known by their surname because there were so many in the class with the same one! But then, we all have our own opinions and respect each other for it. Fabrise tho! am pretty liberal but there are limits!
  • I dont really think that kids are bottom coz of their names! I personally would like my child to grow up an individual and would rather they didnt get known by their surname because there were so many in the class with the same one! But then, we all have our own opinions and respect each other for it. Fabrise tho! am pretty liberal but there are limits!
    Yeah I remember in our year at school, all the boys were either called Daniel or Andrew, at least it seemed like it, and they were all known by surname!

Oooh this morning me and oh found a girl's name we both like (shock). Keeping it a surprise though till she's born (if it's a she - I'll find out in 3 weeks!)
  • Hi you only have to go the registry office together if you are not married. Although we are married I still want to go the registry office as its a milestone i guess. I heard of someone whose hubby wanted calll thier little girl CJ but his wife said she didnt want initials as a name so they decided CeeJay! I really dont see much difference myself.

The thing about people with odd names being in bottom sets, i dont know how much it would affect you at school but apparently having an unusual name can affect you late in life as on things such as a CV people will prejudge you. There are loads of articles about it if you google it.
  • Oh dear! lots of traditionalists on line!

When i had my 1st, I loved Poppy (I KNEW it was a girl!) or Alyssa. and Jessie and a few more i forget now! it was a while ago!

In the end my fiance suggested Pagan (from a book he'd read) and we were toying with it until I put it together (Hyphenated) with my great nannas name, Elise. Which just jumped out at me. hence my eldest Pagan-Elise.

my uncle said she'd grow up to be a devil worshipping miscreant, which is rich considering his sons banged up for GBH!
    it was a gamble but she'll never get the playground thing when someone calls your name and 5 others turn around and say 'yeah?'

(im called sarah, so i know this too well, there were 3 sarahs in my class alone in middle school!)
    :\):\)
  • I didn't mean that if a the name was spelt in an unusual way it meant the child was going to be in a bottom set - i was jokingly suggesting that their parents couldn't spell either! Didn't mean to cause offence.... just a light-hearted observation that has been mentioned in the staff room.... PS...none of my children or step children have what some people would call 'normal' names. x