Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Husband has couvade syndrome, help please

Hi ladies.

I am 6 months pregnant with our first child and fingers crossed me and bump are fine so far. 

The reason I'm posting on here is out of desperation and the hope that someone knows what I'm going on about and can offer me advice and may be put my mind at ease.

My husband who is 34 and healthy started getting weird symptoms about 8 weeks into my pregnancy. He started to gain some weight on his tummy and had swollen nipples. He was really emotional which is really not like him at all. This continued for another 3 or 4 weeks until I persuaded him to see a doctor. The doctor told us that my husband was fine and that he was going through a sympathy pregnancy. He called it couvade syndrome. I'd never heard of it and actually found it pretty hilarious. 

But its not that funny anymore, its actually pretty bad and I'm concerned. My husband has grown breasts and his nipples have changed. There not giant D cups but there pretty obvious. He's gained a stone in weight and he's not himself at all. He went back doctors a few weeks ago and he's having some tests, but can this phantom pregnancy thing cause all this ? Will he go back to normal ? I'm really stressed about this. 

If anyone knows anything about this or has a partner who's got or had it, can you please help ? Thank you.