Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Flu jab: are you having it or not?

2»

Replies

• I had the flu jab as recommended.. I still caught a bad cold and suffered for 2.5 weeks :( x

• I won't be having the flu vaccine. 1- because I'm allergic to egg and the vaccine contains traces of such. 2- I don't believe in it, which as an NHS nurse would see me hung, drawn and quartered by my co-workers if I voiced my opinion to them (which I don't!). I will be having some of the vaccines given to my baby, MMR and all meningitis. However my husband is very anti vaccines and we have agreed not to vaccinate with dip, tet and polio Or BCG. We will also be applying the delayed vaccination approach once baby is here, meaning vaccines will be given later than normal so that their innate immune system has a chance to develop naturally rather than be insulted at an early stage by live vaccines. The wonderful thing about partenhood is that everybody will choose to do it differently. 

• I haven't had the flu jab and have been toying with getting it but after reading this I think I'm swaying towards not having it (especially with what Hannah said!)

I booked to have my flu jab when I was about 5/6 weeks pregnant but then a friend of mine mentioned that she miscarried shortly after the had hers last year so I cancelled it as I did not want to take the risk, however small. I've also heard that the current jab does not protect against Australian Flu which is the strain that seems to be going around. 

One of my best friends is an obstetrician & despite having her flu jab got the flu at 20 weeks pregnant and was very ill & bed bound for nearly a week. She's ok now and due next month. I suppose I take my chances but I don't want to get a vaccine when there's a chance of me getting a virus anyway. 

• MrsE2016 said:

I haven't had the flu jab and have been toying with getting it but after reading this I think I'm swaying towards not having it (especially with what Hannah said!)

I booked to have my flu jab when I was about 5/6 weeks pregnant but then a friend of mine mentioned that she miscarried shortly after the had hers last year so I cancelled it as I did not want to take the risk, however small. I've also heard that the current jab does not protect against Australian Flu which is the strain that seems to be going around. 

One of my best friends is an obstetrician & despite having her flu jab got the flu at 20 weeks pregnant and was very ill & bed bound for nearly a week. She's ok now and due next month. I suppose I take my chances but I don't want to get a vaccine when there's a chance of me getting a virus anyway. 

I know this is a very old discussion, but I have been trying to find discussions on miscarriage after the flu jab. It just happened to me and I wanted to know more about your friend? I am quite distraught at this has happened because of this and that it I could have avoided it so easily. Thank you