Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Sisters - how do I sensitively tell her to butt out?

My sister is heading for a slap, I swear, and I'm not going into all of it now but the last straw has finally come. She's got into a strop (yes, a full-blown, teenage STROP) because we're having the first baby of the new generation, which means we've got to come up with grandparent names. Well hubby's parents are going to be Grandma and Grandpa, and my sister's angry because she wanted our mum and dad to be that, but even my parents are fine with the inlaws taking those names. My mum and dad are a bit stuck on names, and so last week mum and I had a big conversation about it and came to the tentative conclusion that she and Dad would like to be Nana and Pops. My sister is outraged that she didn't get a say, and so two nights ago when it was just the three of them (she still lives at home - don't get me started on that one either!) they all had wine and my sister decided to get my folks onto a modern grandparents' names website. So now she's convinced my dad it'd be really funny if he was called 'Grumps' and god knows what she's got mum onto. Sorry if anyone's got grandparents with that as a name, it's not that it's a crap name, it's just not what I want my dad to be known as!!!

I really don't know how to politely tell her to butt out without it all blowing up in my face. Ordinarily my brother and I ignore her stupid behaviour, but lately it's got way too much. Last time I let it all get to me was when she planned a hen do for me that was basically to her tastes and all for her, and when I got upset she ran straight to mummy and daddy and said I'd been mean to her, so a massive row ensued. I don't know how to get her to stop and I love the relationship I've built up over the last year with my mum, so I don't want her to think I've been horrid to my sister just because she needs to grow up and act her age.

Sorry for the rant, it's really got to me.

Em 23+3 x x x

Replies

• Hi Emily,

It is really none of her bussiness what your parents want to be called, if they are happy with those names then that's all that matters. My child will have 3 sets of grandparents and two of them want gran and papa, i dont see this as a problem and im not going to make them be called something they feel uncomfy with.

Jstar x
  • I know it's not really, but this isn't the first thing she feels she needs to involve herself in. Amongst other things, she likes to bitch ot my mum about the 'state' of my flat, which really irritates me as she's implying it's unsafe for a baby, when in actual fact it's clean, usually tidy, and none of her business! I can't get her to stop, and I usually only find out she's been bitching if my brother overhears her talking to mum about stuff.
  • Do you know what I had the same thing, my ds was first grandchild and we decided to call my dad "pops" and then 2yrs later my eldest sister had a son and decided to call my dad "gramps" and so eventually we got "pops" pushed out of the window cos she found it confusing to tell her son why we called him different??!!!

gggrrrrrrr, neadless to say we dont get on, and neither do our children, she is without a doubt the favourite and I get a free life with very little interfiernce!!

oops sorry getting down off my pedestal now lol!!!