Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

colcosapy

hi got to have a colcosply done as had abnomal smears before i was pregnant and consultant wants to do one any one else had one while pregnant and is it safe.

Replies

• Options
    sorry2 b so stupid but what is a colcosply???
  • Options
    they put a camara up and look at the cevix to see if they can see abnomalcells
  • Options
    i had this done and the abnormal cells removed before i was pregnant. but i had my final check(to make sure all the cells were gone) when i was pregnant. at the time time i did not realise i was pregnant but it didn't effect my baby at all. i think it is safe but im not sure about having treatment while pregnant. i would ask your doctor/midwife for advice to make sure.
  • Options
    thanks does it hurt at all
  • Options
    thanks Iv27. i didnt have a clue what that was.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to look up more info I think the term is COLPOSCOPY. I had 1 years ago and needed treatment so I was told by my MW I should deliver in hosp as the cervix may take longer to dilate. Better to have it done as if there was a problem they could at least discuss treatment options even if you have to wait until after baby born.
  • Options
    I had a colposcopy before I fell pregnant and have only had one follow up smear since. my gynae wont give me another smear til after i have had the baby....does anyone think i should insist on the smear before?? i am 23 weeks. thanks xx
  • Options
    I had to have this done too. I had an abnormal smear last June / July and wasreferred to hospital for treatment / further exploration however when my appointment came through last Novemebr I was about 5 / 6 weeks pregnant. I went to the hospital and explained and they were really lovely, told me there was absolutely no risks etc to unborn baby and would not affect risk of miscarriage etc. I was petrified and cried through the whole thing (not because it hurt its just uncomfortable but because I was so scared I was hurting my baby!) Anyway they put a camera up and had a look around and dyed my cervix with a vinegar to show up the abnromalities. I have to go back for a further check up in June when i'm 32 weeks pregnant and if still abnormal will treat after baby born. So don't worry procedure is safe I was just told they would do no treatment ie burning away cells etc untila fter baby born but any abnormality could go with baby being born. Hope this helps.