Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to tell if girl or boy from your scan pictures?

Hello,

my husband is positive he doesn't want to know before the birth what gender our baby is but i would kind of like to have a good idea what she/he is so are there any little signs i can look for in our 20 week scan pictures (due to have them done on the 7th May).

Thank You ladies
x
Dannii

Replies

• Are you having a gender scan done? Or just the scans on the NHS?

Some hospitals wont tell you the sex of the baby, but if you want to know and your OH doesn't why dont you find out and not tell him?

We found out with both of ours and its great image Makes buying everything so nice image

xx
  • Its hard to tell from the prints, as the baby is bigger so you generally just get close ups of the face! However while you're in there try to have a good look between the legs. Boys are usually pretty easy to see, my two looked like little snails lol, and girls have 3 lines between their legs. However it is hard to tell when you're not sure what you're looking at, and baby might have its legs crossed, or be moving around too much for you to get a good look, so don't read too much in to it, but i'm sure it'll be fun to look and speculate!! Good luck with your scan xxxxx
  • We are just having the routine 20 week NHS scan done. Husband really doesn't want me to know either as he is sure he'll be able to tell from just looking at me what she/he is!!
    I'll have to do some investigative work whilst we are there haha.
    On our 12 week scan pictures there is like a lump around that 'private parts' area and i'm thinking that this maybe indication of a boy - would i be right in thinking that?
    xx
  • We found out with our 1st that we were expecting a girl, but this around we wanted to keep it a surprise but both me and oh are sure we saw a willy at our 20 week scan, will soon find out if we are right or not.

Hannah 40+3 xx
  • Ohhhh why am i so impatient it will be such a great suprise to wait until the birth. Knowing would just make buying things so much easier!!
    Best of luck huni with the birth
    xx
  • Hiya,

I think if you want to know you're best bet would be to let your OH out of the room first after your scan and then ask the sonographer. We weren't planning on finding out the sex of our baby but during the scan I asked the midwife if she had seen what we were having and she said she only looked if the parents wanted to know what they were having as there was ltitle point otherwise so I think you might struggle to spot anything. Even if you do think you see something I would get it confirmed by the sonographer - can you imagine if you thought you saw a willy and bought a few blue bits and pieces only to find out it was the cord you could see and you were having a girl?! On our pics you can see the umbilical cord and everyone thinks it is a willy! As I said we weren't going to find out the sex of our baby, the night before our scan i started to get tempted and husband was absolutely adament we wouldn't be finding out but when it came to the scan temptation was too much even for him and we found out so you never know your OH may decide he wants to know on the day! x x x
  • Hi Deaks,
    I hadn't even considered the cord, maybe thats the lump i can see on our 12 week scan?!? I suppose September isn't that long to wait to find out but if OH agrees at the scan to find out then i won't be complaining hehe.
    I must admit i have bought a few pink and a few blue bits but mostly whites, creams and yellows we are going to leave buying nursery stuff until we know the sex as the baby will come into our room for the first few weeks anyways.
  • It could well be the cord you can see as i didn't think you could tell the sex of the baby as early as 12 weeks - i could be wrong though!

I look forward to hearing about your scan and whether or not you find out! x x x
  • i really couldn't tell on our scan! the sonographer was telling us to look at something, but I could not work out where his bits were!! i just smiled and agreed with her image
    32+5
  • You won't be able to tell on the NHS scan as they don't go between the legs unless you want to know. We wanted to know and there was no mistaking our strapping young man I said it to them before they said it to me, but there was no sign of it on the picture. If you really want to know point try and talk him round. I'm terrible me cos when I was pregnant with my daughter he didn't want to know but I didn't give him a choice, I was carrying the baby so it was my decision haha I did feel a bit guilty though (soon got over it heehee).xxxxx
  • Its really not easy to tell! I saw a line and was convinced it was a girl but it could have been girls private parts or just the line where her legs meet if they were closed. And the best the sonographer could tell us was that "id say its more likely to be a girl but the picture isnt very clear im afraid" so before we buy any more pink stuff were having a 4D scan tomorrow to confirm it for definite!!

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev207pp___.png

• you cant tell by the pictures but like the other lady said the girl has 3 lines,when i was having twins i was having a boy and a girl and when they showed us you really could tell the difference

sarah
  • You can also get a good idea from the heart beat.... might be an old wives tale but some midwives swear by it. If it sounds like a train, likely to be a boy; like a galloping horse, likely to be a girl....
  • If you want to have an indication of what gender your baby is post your 12 week scan photo here (must be a profile(side view) shot of baby at 12/13 weeks)
    http://ingender.com/cs/forums/95.aspx
    they have ultrasound techs on there
  • I think the heart beat is an old wives tale, my midwife dismisses it as one and according to the heart beat I was having a girl but on my 20 week scan you could tell clear as day it was a boy x x x
  • I didn't think you could tell as early as 12 weeks either! Also early on all babys look like girls - it is only later that boys develop their parts!
  • http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/storage/95/2337283/428462_10151076126806605_509432679_n.jpg

12 week 2 days scan any ideas ,,,i think girl but everyone else says boy ....too early  i think

• Hi I also want gender help! I didn't find out n just wondered what u thought? How do I upload a pic x x
  • Hi I want help with this too.. How can I upload a scan pic... X
  • Claire Watson i think your having a little baby boy