Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

once my baby is here sleeping arrangements- advice needed

Hi

I was hoping i might be able to get a bit of advice from those with previous experience. am due in less than a week and have got a moses basket for my baby to sleep in. have also got an angelcare monitor - comes with a sensor mat for the cot when older. my problem is i'm not entirely sure what to do about sleeping arrangements!! When she is napping during the day should i have her with me in the moses basket or put her in the nursery with monitor?? am even more confused about the evening as thought about bathing her 7ish and then feed (hoping to try breast feeding) and then bed. if i take her back downstairs it'll be quite noisy?? so should she go in nursery and then take her into our bedroom when we go up?? we have a cotbed already in the nursery so was wonder putting the moses basket inside that would help her get used to her environment??? i know official guidlines are to sleep in our room for first 6 months but how practical is this?? am confused but would like to get things off to a good start ASAP with sleeping.

any advice would be much appreciated image)

sorry for long post!!!

xx

Replies

• Hi LyndaB,

Cant give you any advice based on my own experiences as this is our first baby but we've decided, as part of a night time routine to bath the baby, then feed and change him in the nursery and put him to sleep in there in his moses basket, placed inside his cot.

We'll try to do the later feed in the nursery too, the 10pm one and then when we go to bed, we'll bring him in with us for first few months for our peace of mind and also to help with the middle of the night feeds.

I've been reading the gina ford contented baby book (contraversial topic I know!!!) and she recommends as much activity in the nursery as possible to help the baby get used to the environment as soon as poss, making it easier for him / her to adjust as they get a bit older.

I'm confused about what to do during the day too... in his room or with me downstairs... I dont know what to do. Gina;s book recommends in the nursery with the black out blind drawn but I'm not sure if we'll go down that route to start with. Will be interested to read any advice you receive.

Good luck with whatever you decide!! image
  • hmm i'm also confussed about this. i dont know whether to even have her in with us for the first few weeks? or put her straight in the nursery? the rooms r more or less next door to eachother. and i'm thinkin about when changing her throughout the night when my ohs working i dont want to be waking him up. xx
  • With my daughter I had her in with me for a week or so but she was often disturbed when my oh came in from work late so I moved her into her own room and went through to feed and change her, she settled into a really good routine sleeping 9 - 6 ish from 6 weeks and I have never had any problems settling her.

It might be worth trying your baby in your room and seeing how it goes as some people find it comforting and simpler to have the baby in with them, tho I definitely preferred having mine in her own room.
  • In the early weeks I always let my 2 have their naps downstairs. I had a travel cot with a changing station set up in my living room which was really handy.

After a month or so I put both of mine into their own rooms for an afternoon nap as I always felt they had a better sleep when there was no noise to disturb them & they woke up more refreshed then. As far as a morning nap went with Zara we were usually out & about in the morning time so she would just have a nap wherever she was but I was always quite strict that the afternoon nap was always at the sametime everyday & always in her cot.

For night time sleeping arrangements neither of mine would settle in our room & we eventually moved Amy when she was 12 weeks but we moved Zara when she was 10 days coz she wouldnt sleep a wink. We decided to try her in her room one night just to see & the wee monkey slept like a log only waking twice for a feed so we continued putting her into her own room at night. We did have one of the tommee tippee sensor pad monitors though which is similar to the angelcare one which I found was great coz when I woke up at night I could see the wee light flashing from the sensor & knew they were ok without having to disturb them.

Good luck with the new baby. To be honest a lot of it is trial & error in the early days as every baby is different but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask

Hilary x
  • Lily is 23 days old and sleeps in a crib in our room. During the day she naps in her carry cot in the living room. In the afternoon I take her upstairs into our room and put her in her crib by our bed. I have only just started doing this. She has a BT monitor that I have on when she is upstairs and it's good as it detects all her noises! She usually baths between 7pm-8pm and then I put her in her crib after her bottle. But she can be a little madam and refuse to sleep so I usally end up pottering about upstairs until she decides to sleep.

I don't really use the nursery at the moment but in a few weeks I am going to start putting her in the cot in there for her to have her afternoon nap.

Like others have said it is trial and error!

Good luck!

xx
  • thanks ladies - this info really helps. like you say it will be trial and error but is reassuring to know what other mums are doing. have got my baby monitor out now to test it's all working. Is exciting image