Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What length should the baby be at 12 weeks?

Hi Ladies,

I had my '12' week scan on Tuesday all was great which is such a big relief BUT the baby measured 13cm and i thought at 12 weeks around 6cm was normal so am i further along than 12 weeks?

Thank You for you helping me by answering my question

First time mummy to be
Dannii

xx

Replies

• I haven't had my 12 week scan yet but had an early one for health reasons and the midwife said that baby should be about 5-6 cms by then so 13 cms seems very big for 12 weeks x
  • When my baby measured 57mm they dated me as 12+1 so yes, 13cm seems awfully big for 12 weeks!
  • i thought so thank you ladies for replying. I said at my inital appointment that i thought i was further on then they were suggesting as my last full cycle was back in November with an abnormal 2 day cycle in December which they counted as a full cycle therefore making me 4 weeks out by mine and their dates.

I think i'll get an appointment at my own GP tomorrow and ask for advice.

Thanks again ladies
    xx
  • THey dated me 13 weeks instead of 12 but was measuring 56mm, still don't trust their dates. Coz this would mean I was pregnant the week before my last proper af.

15+4

• I had my scan at 11+5 and our baby measured 4.9cm so 13cm is definitely weeks beyond that. I would imagine that is has been recorded wrong as like moony has said if those measurements were accurate your due date would have been brought forward too.

Bec 31 weeks today x
  • iv just checked on my 12 week scan pic and my lo was 9cmz hun so ur baby does seem big for 12 weeks.Maybe they put the wrong thing down or maybe they will change ur due date? xxx
  • Did they tell you this was the length of your baby or is this a measurement you saw on your scan pic? Just cos on my 12 week scan pic there is a measurement of 15cm whereas in my maternity notes baby is recorded at 7.7cm (was 13+5 at scan) so I assume the larger measurement on the pic is that of the placenta maybe? Just a thought which could explain it?!

MrsLeenieM
    25+5
  • Lily was 81mm at 13+6.

Did they actually say you're only 12 weeks? I could understand your mw saying this as they do go by your LMP, but I can't understand the sonographer saying it as length is how they date it accurately - the sonographer has no idea how far along you are just by looking, but takes the measurements and looks across the grid to find the corresponding date.

My mw told me that the sonographer's EDD is only used if the mw's EDD is out by a week or more - which by the sound of things, yours should be!
  • The baby seems very big for 12 weeks! Mine was 6.5cm and she said i was measuring bang on for 12+4

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev207pr___.png

• Mine was 69mm and notes say that is measurement for 13+2. So 13 cm seems v big. Was the definitely crown to rump or could it have been something else?

• mine was 62mm at 12 week scan and i was dated at 12+4, 13cm double that size so seems extremly big? IS that defiantly crown to rump and not uterus size :S or something? i would query with your midwife xxx
  • I also had a measurement of 15cm on the scan pic at 11 weeks - but this wasn't the length of the baby?! Did they actually say that was how long it was? Otherwise I would propose the measurement is something else?!

Tara 33+3
  • When I went for my ultrasound they told me that i was 11 weeks and 4 days almost 12 weeks and my baby was measured 7.7cm. Well two weeks late i went back to my doctor for a check up she pressed on my stomach and told me i was 16 weeks after 2 weeks. and that my due date is dec 28 the same as the lady told me that did my ultrasound. now how stupid is that and my due date is the same.

• i had a mesdurement at 12 weeks 3 days and was told the baby is 16cms frm head to bum but from the information i see online the baby at 13 weeks should be between 5 and 9 cms and now im confused at to if my dates are correct ive had to scans one at 8 weeks and one at 12 weeks 3 day and both by different hospitals and they both say my due date is 5th april but surely 16cms at 12 weeks is to big confused.com.

• Just looked at my pic which was 12+2 and it says 11.3 cm
  • I had my 13wk scan and baby was measuring 15cm (10.6cm from crown to bum) .

• My baby measured 6.1cm at 12 weeks and 3 days x

• I was 11 weeks 2 days with first measuring 13cm long and 12 weeks 1 day with second measuring 19cm long.