Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Really odd question!

Sorry about this ladies but I have a cervix question!
In hospital yesterday they said my cervix was soft..thats a good thing isnt it? Does it mean that my body is getting ready for labour?? Also on my notes it said that it was 2cm long..is that long or short? How long is it before/during pregnancy and is 2cm short? Does your cervix shorten before labour? Sorry for all the questions!
xxx

Replies

• Hi

Yes, your cervix being soft is a good thing. It does mean it's getting ready for labour. The 'long' thing means that it's 2cm 'thick' and as you get more ready for labour or go into labour it shortens so flattens out if that makes sense. Can't really think of a better way of describing it.

Just for info - when I was 40+4 my cervix was described as exactly the same as yours is. I gave birth at 41+2. Just to give you an indication of how long possibly you might have left to wait...

Floopy & Ethan
  • mine is soft in patches, but it's still high (?) I'm assuming it move position the closer you get to labour!!

I wish they would just tell us what it all means without having to hit the net when we get home, I never think to ask at the time! :lol:
  • At my antenatal classes, they said that the cervix starts off about the size of your thumb which is I guess about 10cm? So before it can start dilating it needs to shorten until it's nearly flat, so if yours is at 2cm it's well on its way.
  • Thanks ladies. Its just so annoying the way they tell us these things and expect us to know what it all means! So its sounds like my cervix is going the right way??
    xx
  • so 2cm is thinning?
    xx