Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Eggs

Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether or not you can eat things that contain dried egg? Obviously I know you can't eat runny eggs or unpasturized. But I have got a sour cream and chive dip and read the ingrediants and it said 'dried egg'. Do any of you know!? xxx

Replies

• I'm pretty sure that you're fine eating things that contain dried egg as its 'processed'. The reason you can't have runny/under cooked eggs is down to risks associated with food poisioning. Hope I'm not giving you false information!
  • I've been told that dried egg white is an acceptable alternative to raw egg white in recipes which call for it, so I'm assuming it's fine. I figure any shop bought dip is going to be pasteurised and treated to prolong shelf life so would be safe anyway.
  • Its fine! I eat runny eggs all the time too BTW, the risk is for salmonella, very small risk, but if you buy your eggs with a Lion mark on them all hens have been vaccinated against salmonella. Don't worry about it!
  • my midwife told me that anything that has pasturised egg in is fine, I eat a lot of things with pasturised egg like dips, cesar salad sauce etc xx
  • I eat runny eggs, i make sure the egg white is throughly cooked and I buy free range, lion marked eggs well within the date.

The risk is regarding salmonella and food poisoning for us mums and not danger to the baby x
  • i have been eating cheese and chive dip all the way through - although i have avoided runny eggs but its personal choice at the end of the day...there is a very very slight risk but its unlikely you would get posioned from eggs if they are pasterurised and have the red lion mark on them....

Lx
    (30 weeks)
  • I eat runny eggs, i make sure the egg white is throughly cooked and I buy free range, lion marked eggs well within the date.

The risk is regarding salmonella and food poisoning for us mums and not danger to the baby x

exactly!! and as I have never given myself food poisioning yet to date I eat eggs, they are so good for you!! Don't cut them out of your diet, they contain vitamin D and lots of calcium, essential for little growing bodies!

If you are really worried - eat them hard boiled, or eat them however you like at home but be careful when you are out to eat - you don't know where that fried egg has come from. If they are lion marked and refridgerated you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting salmonella!
  • anything shop bought is fine, as it will have to have been pasteurised...what u do with regards to runny eggs at home etc is totally up to u, but personally i follow the advice and steer clear of runny/undercooked egg, yes the risk may be small, but its still a risk, and one i'm not prepared to take x