Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Gifts or Buy things Now.. HELP!

Hi Girls

I know this is a daft question, but my mum keeps telling me not to buy too much as everyone will want to buy us gifts for the baby nearer the time.

I'm not so sure.. Most of my friends have babies and are not really donating anything, and are short of cash as they have their own little families.

Are baby showers the norm?? If so does a friend organise this (like a hen do) or do you organise your own, I don't want to be presumptious, and I certainly don't expect anything..

However at a wedding it is normal for people to buy wedding gifts, is this the same when you have a baby, sorry to ask its just I'm the first in my family to have a child and I'm not sure.

I don't really like the idea of telling people what you want if they do ask.. My mum and dad are being really vague as to how they want to contribute (like they were when we got married).. one minute they are helping us buy a travel system, the next mum is saying they are too expensive, then she says she'll knit a few bits.. I'm confused!!

Does anyone feel the same, I'm not sure what to buy and when?? EEK! XX

Replies

• imo experience unless u have a shower the gifts u'll receive are normally just clothes, like one outfit, so i wouldn't rely on people's gifts. i didnt' have a shower and probably won't this time either as its nto something i'm comfortable doing as (no offence to anyone hwo has one) to me it just seems like an excuse for presents. the only other gift i can envisage getting would be somehting like a nappy cake. i thik in this current climate where everyone is feelingt he pinch its best not to expcet anything and then if u do get something its a bonus, and u can always return what 'uve bought in order to recoup the cash rather than have two fo the same or way to many clothes. i think all in all (apart from our parents) we received about 3 or 4 oputfits and a pack of nappies in total, and all of those outfits were 3-6months so i still need to have had all the newborn and 0-3 stuff anyway, not that 3 outfits would've chanegd a lot there anyway.
    i would just not think about what anyone else might by u at all, that way if u don't get anything then ur not stuck, and if people do ask if they can get u somehting ask for vouchers or nappies etc, that way they can spend how much they like, u can buy what u like and the nappies etc iwll help u out as u won't have to make a mad dash to the shops for extra supplies, iyswim? or baby sitting iou vouchers? they don't buy u antything now but u have a written pledge that they'll be on hand for one evening of baby sitting lol. xx
  • I would make sure you have the essentials covered, the pram, the cot, car seat, monitors etc and a couple of outfits and then wait and see what gifts you get. If your parents later decide that they wanted to get you any of those things, you can always just ask them to reimburse you for something you've already ordered.
    We only bought enough outfits first time round to fill the hospital bag and that was it. We were inundated with clothes for ds - he had so much he never got the chance to wear half of it! Plus, if you don't get given enough outfits to last, it's easy enough to pick some stuff up once baby is here.
  • Thanks for that, really helpful, I just think my mum has the wrong idea not me, I have made a good list of what I need to buy before baby is born and I'm happy with that, like you said, anything else is a bonus!

Is there any difference between newborn and 0-3 month sizes for baby clothes?? How can you tell what size depending on what size your baby is at birth.. XX I heard newborn are more expensive than 0-3 months.
  • Hi,
    As the others have said you need to cover the essentials like cot / pram etc. It's been 10 years since i had my son and back then baby showers weren't the done thing, I also wouldn't be comfortable having one now. But in my experience I bought everything for the first 3 months, which i would have anyway, but received lost of gifts from people, which were mainly clothes. I didn't have to buy any more clothes until my son was a year old. I also tend to buy people clothes for baby if i'm getting them a gift, generally from age 6 months plus so it can be used later on. If people want to buy you a gift like this then I would recommend suggesting an outfit that will fit later on or a gift card, pick a shop and tell people if they want to get you something to get a giftcard from the shop you like, that way you could have a good shop for things once baby is here.
    As for the sizes, I bought newborn for my son and he was 8lb 6oz when born and didn't last 5 minutes in some of the things. For this pregnancy i've bought a combination of small baby and newborn as i'm expecting twins so hopefully won't have 2 whoppers!! If it were one baby i'd probably go for the 0-3 months sizes. xx
  • u won't know until ur baby is here waht size to buy, i thought i was exppecting agood 9lb+ so bought very few newborn (tesco newborn goes up to 11lb, but asda is only 9lb) but when he arrived at just 6lb12 even newborn was massive on him and we had to get some tiny baby (up to 7.5lb) and they lasted him a good 4 weeks, then he went into newborn, and didn't go into 0-3 month until he was about 10-12 weeks (depending on where they were from) most places the price remains the same regardless of which size, particulalry in the essentials like vests and sleepsuits, they'll eb the same price right thru til 12-18m (or taht is the case in asda, tesco, matalan, primark, next and boots)
  • Hi hun,

We have bought quite a few essentials for baby already as my work contract runs out end of July so wanted to get some bits whilst have the cash.

We have mainly newborn vest & sleepsuits but do have a pack od 0-3 months. They go by babys weight so neborn goes up to about 9lbs or so I think + they tend to stretch.

We are not buying loads of outfits apart from our vests & sleepsuits (have just over a wks worth) we have bought 3 neutral newborn outfits in the sales, we wont be buying anything else as we are lucky that are family & friends will buy outfits etc for baby & then soon after we gove birth xms will be round the corner & the Jan sales so that's another reason we are waiting + they grow out of everything so quickly I dont want to end up with loads that doesnt get used. Also if you look in supermarkets like tesco or sainsbury they are great value for vests & sleepsuits, everything is stored at my mums but im sure the pack of 5 vests cost ??3.75 & pack of 3 sleepsuits ??4.00 & they are just fine for baby.
    xxx
  • ooh great thanks for the tips, I think I'll get a few newborn and 0-3 months and go from there. Most of the things we'll get will be cot, travel system, bathing stuff etc. XX Yipee can't wait to shop shop shop!! image
  • Yea were gona get all those bits later on hopefully my parents & nan will be helping with those bits!!!

We've just done a bit at a time over the last month & last night & have spent about ??100 in total & have practically all our baby small baby essentials!! I have been doing my online window shopping LOL scoping out who has the best deals & sales & then going to buy bits!!

Happy Shopping!! xxx
  • I bought loads of toiletiries in the half price sale in Sainsburys last week, have been given a second hand moses basket, cot and baby grows (all different unisex ones in sizes up to 9 months) from SIL who has 3 kids (youngest a year old),

We have also started to buy stuff for the nursery, zeddy and parsnip range from M&P spent about ??100 in the sale.

Am also scoping out the bargains but am hoping to know the gender at next weeks scan so we can shop properly.. so exciting isn't it girls!! XX
  • Hi,

You'll probably find that if friends etc wish to buy you something they'll ask what you need. If they do, then tell them, don't just say, 'oh i don't know, or you don't have to buy me anything because they will anyway lol.

with both of mine I bought everything I needed and people asked in advance if they could buy this or that, like the cot and pram were bought by grandparents and my auntie said point blank that she was buying me the toiletries, and a little changing box (she bought bits every week from the day I announced. baby was two before I used it all lol).

This time we are starting again (youngest will be six when bubs gets here) and we'll be buying everything with no expectation for anyone to contribute, unless they ask image
  • Hi,

I just wanted to say that we throw Babyshowers at work for ladies who have a baby on the way. We have one on Thursday, It'll be the fourth one this year!! We usually do them a few eeeks before they go on maternity leave.

We decorate the staff room with banners and balloons and we all bring some nibbles and a bottle (soft drinks too) I always make the nappy cake, another member of staff knits, one bakes baby shower fairy cakes and we do a collection, just a couple fo ?? each and buy one or two baby vests and maybe a blanket and that's about it really.

It's not so much about the pressies, but more about giving them a good send off!

I would say that if cash flow is tight, get yourself on eBay or look in the local ads in your newspaper, people often sell bundles of 2nd hand clothes, babies are hardly in thing for more than two minutes so most items are nearly new! and 2nd hand prams, cots (always get a new mattress) , bouncers, car seats (make sure they've not been in a crash) etc. can be bought for a steal!

get bargain hunting and good luck! :\) xxxxxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev060pf___.png

• ooh can I come and work with you!! That sounds awesome.. I work with two lads in their 20's, the MD comes in once a week, so not the same, they might have a whip round but I'm not expectikng anything..

I will have a look at some bargains.. also whats a nappy cake? X
  • They are made out of rolled up nappies and look like this!

http://shannonbanks.blogs.com/my_uk_life/WindowsLiveWriter/emma%27s%20cake.jpg

http://www.favorideas.com/squidoo/diaper-cakes-lg-1.jpg

• We were expecting little one last year and bought everything we needed and it was good that we did. Most friends did not turn up to visit and family gave us some cloths. In total I think we had 12 outfits, a shawl and a playmat. MIL already had given us the pushchair and such, so that was good, but other people didn't give much.

So my advice is to count on nothing. buy the essentials and than every outfit you will get is a bonus. Get some newborn and some 0-3 months. Our first was in newborn for a few weeks before he went to 0-3 months. (he was just over 7lbs when born) He was measuring very big, but came early so was just average.
  • Oh my god, I've never seen the baby cakes before, how utterly gorgeous!! Really imaginative and so thoughtful.. I'd be bowled over if someone made me something like that.. XX

I think like people have said I'm not relying too much on gifts, just gonna get everything we need.
  • I think it depend on your family and friends. We are planning at the moment but I know some of my friends who already have had children have put things by for me and there is nothing that will stop my mum and sis helping us out (we always do it for a family member to help out).

I usually by an outfit or 2 in a bigger size for friends babies and my mum usually knits them a blanket (she enjoys it).

For a lot of people things are a bit streched at the mo, have you checked out freecycle? There are always lots of baby related things on there, people are recycling baby gear and wanting to get rid of things for extra space.

Dx
  • Loving the nappy cakes! I'd not seen or heard of them before either (and this is my third image ).

I'd say don't buy too many of each size clothes as you never know what baby will fit in. My kiddies were so long when they were born that they couldn't fit in newborn at all :\)
  • Nappy cakes are lovely, my SIL had one for her baby shower last year.

Do you ladies think it's rude to aks for vouchers at a baby shower if your asked what you need or want?? xxx