Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

shared care?

when i had my scan (which was amazing) i was informed i would be under shared care!! which im not happy about,meaning, one time ill see my midwife at my local gps and another a doc at the hospital,not only causeing me inconvienience,but costing a fortune in parking!! i guess this must be due to midwife shortage! anyone else got this? i will be trying to sort this out today or moving doctors i think! as i dont feel it would be very personal care!

Replies

• I also have shared care a quick walk to the docs one time and a 25 minute drive into the city centre to get to the hospitial the other time, it's only 10 miles but the traffic is horrendous! And the ??2 parking fee doesn't help!!
  • i know, im not happy at all!! i may miss appointments all together rather than do this, im trying to find out if there are any other options,its bad enough in my opinion,if you go through your pregnancy with 1 midwife,then have tottal strangers at delivery,but shared care aswell? talk about cattle!!
  • After some recent pre-eclampcia scares I have now been put on shared care and daily monitoring which means I have to try and get to the hospital everyday and although I can drive my bump will not fit behaind the wheel anymore so have to rely on people taking me. My husband is a store manager and cannot just 'pop out' to drive me all the way over to the hospital and back again. My doctors surgery is only round the corner so I don't understand why I couldn't just go there and see someone there or even have the midwife do a home visit. i don't really think they consider how people will get to these places and its hard enough at the best of times but especially hard when your pregnant and you can't walk very far and have to work out where the nearest toilet is all the time :lol::lol::lol:
  • hey littleroo, lol bless you, i know its a right pain, i mean, i suppose there has got to be some sort of benefit to seeing a consultant, but, i think the cons out weigh the pros!!! im looking into if i can change docs at mo, im not doing this for another 6 months!!! tk care xx
  • I've been on shared care both times cos I chose to have both of mine in a hospital which isn't closest to my home (cos I've had a really bad time there with gynae ops) I see midwives and the consultant from the hospital, especially because of a family heart problem, and also see midwives from my local hospital at my doctors and will be delivered by whoever's there on the day! Then when I'm discharged my notes get sent to the local hospital and their midwives see me up to my 6 week check - even though they'll have had nothing to do with the birth!!! To be honest it hasn't really bothered me that much as long as I've been able to talk to them and they've listened and I know I can pop to the hospital I'm going to deliver in if I'm worried. My only real concern is if I start having serious problems which require an ambulance in which case I'd get taken to my local hospital who won't have my notes! Very complicated!